well water, bleach, acv

ShaggysGirl

Songster
10 Years
May 24, 2009
Temperance, MI
We have a well and use a reverse osmosis system for our drinking and cooking. I was told if in doubt about the health of the well to put a bit of bleach in it to fill the bacteria.
How much bleach per gallon?
Would ACV work as well as bleach or should I use them together?
Has any one use GSE Grape seed extract?
Thanks for any info.

A little bleach is fine, although I wouldn't put it in my water. I prefer ACV. We also have well water, which we and all the birds drink and we're all heathy as horses! ACV is good because not only does it kill bacteria in the water, but it sterilizes the crop and raises the acidity in the digestive tract, making it easier for good gut bacteria to grow.

And I believe it's a teaspoon of bleach per gallon, although I'm not positive. And for the ACV, a tablespoon per gallon. I also wouldn't use them together, but that's just me. I couldn't imagine trying to drink that, so the birds probably wouldn't enjoy it
ep.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Can i ask why bleach? I should not ask, i know nothing about those systems. But hmmmm, if you drink the water why would you put bleach in it? Just curious.

You would only want to use a 1/4 teaspoon of chlorine bleach per gallon. I drink well water and a very fortunate to have an excellent well with absolutely no odor normally associated with well water. Because it has no smell or taste it makes excellent coffee or tea; much better than I get anywhere else. Municipal water systems all chlorinate their water and prevent bacteria. I have my well tested periodically to insure that it is healthy. Years ago my son and I went to Northern Quebec hunting. The water we drank that week came directly for the lake. All the other hunters suffered from the water while we didn't. The chlorine that kills harmful bacteria also kills helpful ones. Organic apple cider vinegar helps replace the helpful organisms.

Quote:
Can i ask why bleach? I should not ask, i know nothing about those systems. But hmmmm, if you drink the water why would you put bleach in it? Just curious.

Bleach (chlorine) is put in public water systems to kill bacteria along with fluoride and other things. We haven't tested our well water so by running it through the reverse osmosis system for drinking and cooking we know it is pure. The reverse osmosis system water comes out in the kitchen sink and doesn't filter the whole house.
The well water may or may not have harmful bacteria in it since we haven't tested it, but if it does then the bleach or avc would take out the bad bacteria that could make one or ones chickens ill.

I just got done bleaching my well, pour 5 gal, down the well.

Then run it thru all the pipes, dont forget to flush the ones on the washer hot and cold. Forgot once first load was black , bad mistake....

Was told wells need bleach once a year. And the pipes also.

Same as they did when the well was drilled.

Quote:
Thanks Opa, Could I put the acv and 1/4tsp bleach together in the same buckets?
I really do need to get the well tested we just bought this place last December.

I think that the bleach will kill the active bacteria in the vinegar. Check your yellow pages for water testing facilities. You pick up the sample bottle, fill and return and have your results in 2 or 3 days. Costs about $40.

Quote:

Bleach (chlorine) is put in public water systems to kill bacteria along with fluoride and other things. We haven't tested our well water so by running it through the reverse osmosis system for drinking and cooking we know it is pure. The reverse osmosis system water comes out in the kitchen sink and doesn't filter the whole house.
The well water may or may not have harmful bacteria in it since we haven't tested it, but if it does then the bleach or avc would take out the bad bacteria that could make one or ones chickens ill.

Oh ok, is that what it is, man i hate that smell when i lived in the city, you can taste it too.

Thanks for filling me in. My landlord has well water, but i have not herd of anything like that.

Quote:
LOL LOL dont forget to flush the ones on the washer hot and cold. Forgot once first load was black , bad mistake....
lau.gif

We flush our well once a year 5 gal. bleach also.. Turn the all sinks on till you smell bleach then turn them off let it set all night the next morning turn them back on let them run till there is no more rust in the water...
chris

Back
Top Bottom