Well, we let our guard down, and paid the price.

Quote:
So is povidone iodine OK as is? (I get confused about iodine, but I know I have povidone on hand in the tack box.)

I have not yet found any deep wounds, as in punctures or torn muscle, etc., but what I'm mostly dealing with are "skinned" patches on backs. These would be the ones who got away. Of course, what I'd prefer to do is smother everything in tri-biotic ointment and wrap it up, but I can't see a way of making that work on mostly-wild chickens. Honestly, I think that doing something like bringing them into the house would stress them out more. Maybe I can sequester off a section of the chicken yard, or just close the coop for them and make everyone who's not injured sleep out in the (secure) yard.

Quote:
verboten..she is taking the blame..leave her alone....it could happen to any of us that own dogs AND chickens...really..come on...unless i am mistaken about your intent with this post?.....leave her alone....it was an accident....they happen...
idunno.gif
...thanks, Wendy

Thanks, redhen, and yes, exactly! If this had been someone ELSE'S dogs who did this, I'd be after their owners, you can be sure! And I do NOT consider that a double-standard of any kind. After all, with my OWN dogs, *I* am the one in charge of how they are confined--in this case, I screwed up, but that's on ME. With my neighbor's dogs, I don't have any say or control over what measures they take to secure their dogs, so, being at their mercy, I'd have to take whatever measures *I* could to protect my birds.

Know what I mean?

I think when you have more than one dog that pack mentality comes into play. When we had 5 dogs they would group together to chase the ducks on the pond. One would run around the pond while the others tried to swim after them They never caught them but the way they worked together as a team was interesting to watch. I have dogs and chickens as well. The dogs have their yard the chickens theres. Theres always a possibility of one getting into the others yard .You do your best to prevent it but it happens. I have been lucky so far only one of my geese and the turkey have gotten into the dogs yard. Luckily neither dog even looked in their direction. I know they are afraid of our Tom turkey. When comes into the yard they disappear under the porch. lol
Sorry for your loss Take time to regroup and check out your fence line.

Quote:
Oh, EXACTLY. The pack is much more formidable than any single dog!

I do believe we've found the breach, but will certainly double-check in the daytime.

yes ninja i do....i dont know why people have to kick ya when your down on this forum?...jeez!....i recently had 2 button quail literally ripped through their cage wires by my cats..torn to shreads.(it was bad.....and i was sick!)...accidents DO happen...some people need to stop and think before they condem..

Quote:
Thanks--will do. One thing I was concerned about is the possibility of them getting shavings stuck on the wounds. If that happens, I'm not sure if I'll try to remove them, or just let it all heal as is. Only one cuckoo Marans is in a really bad way, and I'm not sure she'll make it through the night. Everyone else seems to just have "flesh wounds." Not the Monty Python kind.
hmm.png

I had a badly injured hen once. Dog attack, too. She had an area on her back where only a thin membrane was left. I could see her lung. I put Neosporine on the wound a few times a day. That held off infection and kept the membrane from drying out and cracking. The skin grew back and much of her feathers. Turned out to be a very good laying hen.

Hang in there kid and don't beat yourself up too bad. Nobody in their right mind would think for a minute that this was anything but an accident.

And your right when it is your animal you can only be mad at yourself. When it is the neighbors you can be mad at them.

I lost 18 of my 11 week olds to the neighbor's dogs, what a waste. What really upset me is when I went to see him about it he was like nope my dog has been tied up all day.

Really and the feathers on her face came from where?

The worst was that they were wasted. I didn't like the not for food but for fun of that killing.

Sorry that you are going thru this.

Back
Top Bottom