Well, we let our guard down, and paid the price.

Im sorry for your loss, and I'm gonna say whatever about the not turning the eggs. Ive done that and had a decent hatch too, so as long as the air cell is stable, it should be good?

Dogs are dogs, plain and simple, and we all make human mistakes. Im sorry things didnt connect til after the fact. Beating yourself up wont help now. Poor babies, take good care of the ones left....but your expert running with BC Marans Marathons has paid off! I hope you find more survivors.

I recently overlooked something myself, not with my chickens, but it could have been if the dog had chosen to use that path....we had dug a trench from the pet/poultry area through the front yard...the dogs, if they chose to, could go under the electric wire between them...they dont, fortunately. Unfortunately, our pet rabbit who had gotten loose did chose to use the trench from the pet area into the dogs yard. End of rabbit.

hugs.gif

Take care,

Tina

Last edited:
Quote:
Absolutely. I often think about this with my own birds and dogs.

I'm sooooo sorry to hear about this. Been-there-done-that with the dog brain farts!

I think they will be fine not being turned. I have had decent hatches from eggs that were just stuck on a counter for 4 days or more (not my choice, but I was getting a good deal).
Sorry this happened, I know what you mean by them eating them is better than not. We had a pullet fly into our huge beagle(2) pen and there wasn't much left
hmm.png
Hope this hatch works out great for you, you will have to let us know how they develop. Good luck with the rest
hugs.gif

We have hot-wire along the top of the fence to keep the standards from going OVER, and the bottom of the fence is secured well along the ground...but this one spot where the downspout emptied was in the actual landscaping. UGH.

So for now, we've countersunk an ex-pen panel into the landscaping, and will try to come up with a more permanent solution later.

This "living and learning" business just never stops, does it?
hmm.png

I've got the incubator on, and hopefully it will stabilize overnight and I can set eggs tomorrow. IF I can get a hatch, I can at least replace some of my Buff Orps and Easter Eggers. None of the Marans are laying yet, sadly.

Thank heavens the Ameraucanas were secured within the rooster pen.

Quote:
Do you mean my post on that page? Here is what I said:

Verboten wrote:

Hello,
I am very confused about attitudes toward canine predation of domestic livestock - If it is your neighbors dog that kills your chickens then it should be shot or confined- If it is yours - then it is “in its nature” and nearly “bygones and all“???

ninjapoodles replied:

It doesn't confuse me one bit. If *I* have chosen to keep both dogs and poultry (which I have), then it is my responsibility to keep them absolutely separated, and to keep the birds absolutely beyond the reach of the dogs.

It is ALSO my responsibility (in my mind, even MORE so) to keep my dogs confined to my own property, and to ensure that they never, ever have the opportunity to roam the neighborhood, to trespass, annoy, or harrass my neighbors and their animals.

Likewise, if someone ELSE's dog is on MY property (which has happened here, despite the fact that we have a 6' chain-link fence around the entire perimeter), then I have every right to protect my own animals. So far, the worst a trespassing dog has gotten from us has been yelling and the occasional zing from an air-rifle pellet to the hindquarters. However, if the situation were escalated, and it was a matter of life or death of my livestock or pets, I wouldn't hesitate to use deadly force to defend them. The law in this area supports that, and offers compensation for livestock destroyed by dogs belonging to others, sometimes at 7 times the value of that livestock as a punitive measure.

To the person who said that "you can't outrun" a dog who's chasing poultry, I'd suggest that that's a dog who never had a solid "recall" trained into it, and that, again, is the owner's responsibility, and not the fault of the dog. When people ask me what is the #1 MOST important command you can teach a dog, my answer is, unequivocally, a solid recall. You should have a command that STOPS THAT DOG IN ITS TRACKS no matter what it's doing, and it should be the very first thing you work on with any puppy.

All of my dogs have a high prey drive, and in most of them, it's what I would consider extremely high. But there's not a one of them that I can't "call off" when they're after something.

I absolutely stand by every bit of that. Nothing in this situation contradicts it. We were not present when this incident happened, so never had a chance to "call off" the dogs. Earlier in this thread, I stated that dogs often accompany us when we're doing chicken chores, and they're on good behavior, because we're RIGHT THERE. At the first sign of approaching the birds, we call them back or send them away, and they obey. But when unsupervised, all bets are off.

Does that clarify it any? Maybe I just don't understand what you're trying to say, here. These were MY dogs, on MY property, attacking MY chickens. WE are 100% at fault...no one else.​

Last edited:
I forgot to mention --

For cleaning out wounds, diluted betadine solution works very well. You can buy betadine at any large store like Walmart. The exact dilution doesn't really matter, but dilutions as low as 1/10 (9 parts water, 1 part betadine) work very well. The reason for dilution is that bird tissue is delicate, and betadine can be a bit harsh for them at full strength.

Another note -- betadine will stain white or other light cloth or most anything else.

Quote:
verboten..she is taking the blame..leave her alone....it could happen to any of us that own dogs AND chickens...really..come on...unless i am mistaken about your intent with this post?.....leave her alone....it was an accident....they happen...
idunno.gif
...thanks, Wendy

Back
Top Bottom