Well, we're now up to two rabbits (both bucks!)

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Well, today, I went to pick up a rabbit and hutch. The rabbit was supposed to be a meat rabbit, and the hutch would have been used for a doe. I really do NOT need two bucks, it's simply inefficient. So, I get up there, and I see that he's cuter than I thought he was going to be, but really, that's not a big deal for me, guess I'm cold hearted. Well, the lady proceeds to tell me, "I really didn't want the rabbit, but the neighbor's had it and the kids were spraying perfume in its eyes, shooting it with squirt guns and everything else. I couldn't let it get tortured day in and day out, so I took it." She then told me how he was in a cat carrier for his life. Wow, I felt bad for the guy, but, I still could have done it, at least now he wasn't being tortured. Well, I bring the furry future dinner home in a large box (which the blanket didn't fit into, poor guy!) to keep him calm. I get home and tell JD that I need his help with a future dinner. He asks what I shot, nothing... What'd you run over? Nothing... I got a rabbit. He laughs and says it'll be done tomorrow morning. I then pull the hutch from the truck with his assistance, put it beside the house. The hutch is full of poop, I mean 1/4 full of poop and cedar chips. It's pungent to say the least, despite the strong smell of cedar. I pull the rabbit out in the playroom, where the other buck is, so that I can check him out. He seems rather small, but extremely friendly. I was warned that he "lunges" when you try to feed him. I check him out a bit and put him into the hutch outside, fix the dish to the side, and he's pushing me all over the place. I finally put pellets in his dish and he flies into it. He's acting like a starved rabbit, and he's rather skinny for a buck of his age, especially being an outdoor rabbit... So, I brought him back in and yelled for JD's kids to get down to the playroom, they have a new pet rabbit, lol. I couldn't get over how calm and relaxed this guy is after everything he's been through. I figure he's worth the extra bit of feed and hay. I just don't think I could slaughter him after everything he's been through and with being as calm as he is after all of it! This guy can actually be picked up, unlike the other buck. Once I get some weight onto him, he may be my main. breeder buck in the end, depending on how he fills out. Either way, he'll now have a happy life with a full tummy, good treats, lots of GOOD, GENTLE attention and lots of bunny sexins.

...pics?
big_smile.png

Not yet. His hutch is still yucky (I couldn't get it all out, it was after dark once everything was off the truck and ready). I'm not sure how busy or worn out I'll be tomorrow, as it is the first day of rifle bear season! But, I promise to endulge and post pics of him, as well as pics of the other buck.

Isn't that funny when it works out that way. I intended to eat the extra buck that came with the cages I got last week, but he's so darn friendly...curse cute little bunnies..

Your hooked. Next thig you know you will be breeding and showing, and hitting every show you can every weekend. rabbits are addictive. I am glad you saved him. I just don't get it why people like that would get an animal if they were just going to hurt it. that poor guy. someone should spray perfume in their eyes and see how they like it. He's lucky he's not blind from it.

Quote:
The exact reason he isnt blind is because it was a suckers story, made up incidents to make a potential new home for an unwanted male rabbit.
I have heard this story so many times it makes my head spin.
the one that especially gets me is the one where the " rabbit is vicious, mean bites, etc etc" only to get it home and find out it is the sweetest rabbit going.
Ihave gotten many in from the same types of stories, after a while it gets to the point where you just take the rabbit and tell the people to skip the sob stories.
I would rather just take the rabbit than hear the fibs.

Betta question, are his eyes crusty, burned, weepy, red, can he see?
if none of this is present and we all know what testing perfume on rabbit eyes does to the eye, then yep it was a suckers story to get you to take the buck.
I can tell just from what you said he isnt a vicious rabbit, just starved, if he was vicious then the minute you put your hand in to feed you would have been attacked.
Anyway not to minimizes the rescue, I am glad you did, sweet bucks are a wonerfull thing.
good luck with him and all you do.
And yes breeding rabbits for meat does eventually lead to showing.
Some of the best top quality Show rabbits have come from Meat breeders. after all they breed for the same standards ARBA is looking for.

Hiya Gypsy!
lol.png

I agree with her, it was probably a sob story to get you to take him. I've had that played on me too and I'm soft so I fall for it.

Either way, you got him away from someone who didn't want him and was probably a little mentally messed up to make such lies about him, so STILL a good save IMO!
Congrats on the new pet bunny.

More often than not, it's the owners that tell you they are healthy and wonderful, that have animals that have been abused or neglected!
old.gif

Whether it was a sob story or not, glad you got yourself a new rabbit. Many rabbits suffer the Easter bunny syndrome, where people get a cute bunny for easter and when they hit maturity, they realize they don't want them anymore. Although, for rabbit breeders and keepers, this isn't a bad deal, but rather lucrative. Sell baby bunnies for Easter, come fall or winter when the bunnies aren't cute anymore, more often than not people rehome the rabbit with all it's new equipment. Is that a rip or what? LOL Just thought it was an interesting aspect to it.

I can't wait to see pics of your new friend.
big_smile.png

Actually, I was already a definate "adopter" and she knew that I'd be taking the rabbit no matter what (hence the drive of almost two hours one way). They were supposed to of had the rabbit for a little while. The kids were saying about how mean the neighbor kids were, and I'm not sure if they'd be lying about it. Either way, the rabbit has a permanent home with us now. The story isn't what saved the rabbit, it was his personality.

Back
Top Bottom