Well, what now.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maxamus, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Maxamus

Maxamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2014
    My favorite chicken (Mable) has been missing for the past week. We found her sitting on who knows how many eggs under our porch.What do we do, should I move her? Take the eggs? Lock her up? I don't know so please help.

2. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    Offer her food and water, do you have a rooster? Maybe you will get some chicks! You can try moving her.

3. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I would suggest letting her brood the eggs, if the eggs are fertile and you want to take them away, you will have to puck the eggs.

4. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. The chicken run in right next to the deck, so she runs over for food and water. We are worried about her because it is getting so cold out and predators. We do not have a rooster and do not have a big enough coop for one.

5. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    The eggs are not fertile. I was planning on purchasing fertilized eggs to incubate. Maybe I could put them under Mable? Has anyone had any experience doing this? Thanks for your reply. Sure appreciate it!

6. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    I'd make her a new spot inside the coop with the eggs she's on now, wait until beddybye time and gently trade the infertile for whatever you want her to hatch out! She will not care about the swap as she'll be drowsy. I've done this many times.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  7. riverat2014

riverat2014 New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    Mountain View Ar
    Why would all my chickens freeze in place in the pen an not move a muscle for nearly 20 minutes. All I can think of is they saw something they thought was a predator. Sure was strange.

8. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    Most likely a predator. yes. But what does that have to do with Maxamus' broody hen?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If your coop isn't large enough for a rooster, it's probably not large enough to add chicks. The chicks themselves are tiny, but they need a lot of space to get out of the way of the older birds. If you're cramped already, I'd suggest taking her eggs and breaking her from being broody. there are several threads that spell out exactly how to do that most effectively.

If she's been setting for a week or so, I wouldn't eat the eggs myself but you can scramble them and feed them to the flock, or dogs or cats (in moderation, of course. don't make your animals sick!).

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by