wellsummer chicks-what gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mudpaw, May 11, 2010.

1. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    I have three little wellsummer chicks and I have one that I'm a little unsure of the gender on. It seems to be somewhere in between the other two chicks. I think it's a cockerel, but maybe I'm terribly wrong [​IMG] . It's got a bad leg and is living in the house right now (I thought it was just a slipped tendon-but it appears to be a twisted leg instead-though it manages to walk and stand). I've read that the color of the breast feathers on wellsummer chicks can be a good way to tell them apart-and there are very marked differences between the two other chicks (as well as significant comb differences). But one is throwing me a little. It has a red comb already but it's breast feathers don't really have any black in them(like the little cockerel), but are slightly darker than the little pullets. So, I offer up some photos so maybe I can solve the mystery [​IMG] I'm not sure what I will do if he is a roo...I'm in the city and can't have roos (the other little cockerel is free if anyone wants him!). It's super sweet and loves to be held, but I cannot let him breed due to the leg deformity...So, here it is:

[​IMG]

The little pullet (for comparison)
    [​IMG]

So, is it a little cockerel? :C

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't know anything about breast feathers....but I do know that comb screams cockeral [​IMG]

3. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Cockerel doodle do!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:yup.

5. mudpaw

mudpaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    West Point, GA
    that's what I thought.....arrrggg...I can only hope he is a quiet roo and go and beg my neighbors to let him stay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by