welp hatchery

There's been a lot said already that I won't repeat or elaborate on that I agree with. Let me just keep this short. Do a search on "hatchery" or any of the hatchery names and see what the posts say. I've made some of them and you can find them fairly easily just by doing a search on "author" and "Tailfeathers".

Bottom line is one must understand what the goal is of a hatchery.

Two things personally, one I won't ever buy from a hatchery again because it cost the same to feed a hatchery bird as it does a good bird from a breeder. Second, I would not recommend getting any Welsummers from Welp. I was sorely disappointed with what I wound up with and had to cull almost all of the birds I got for obvious faults.

God Bless,

We have bought from small mom and pop companies before and found the chicks to be sickly - using loosing up to 20%. We switched to Welp last year and bought 160 Cornish Cross broilers - we received 170. One had a broken leg and none dead. While raising them only one died. I will use Welp from now on. This year we are buying 200 Cornish Cross broilers and we are going to start turkeys. I hope their turkeys are as good as their chicks. For other reviews of them check out this site: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5989/

Best
of luck!

I have used welp a couple of times and will continue to do so. I think Their web site is the best and easiest to use. they are very friendly on the phone. The ckicks are all healthy and grow real well. and thee prices are right with other places when shipping is counted in. Their web site says they ship from 3 different locations, the main location is in Iowa and the meat chickens are hatche there. then there is New Mexico which i am told is Privet but welp is cheaper and friendly to go through, the other is Minnesota I dont know who they use there but I would think it depends on your location which spot they are shipped from

Hi, we have used Welp for several years and have had no problems. I can't recall receiving a dead chick and we live in California, a long way from Iowa. We have very close to zero mortality rate the past 23 years, but we raise them on the patio by the house to eliminate the threat of predators. We have been very impressed with the vigor and good health of the Welp chicks and rely on them for our birds.
We used to order from other hatcheries as well as buy at our local feed store, but the feed store chicks were sickly and had low survival rates. There were issues with other hatcheries as well, a dead chick occasionally and wrong breeds, but mostly okay.

The chicks we have ordered from Welp have been healthy and strong. The only difficulty has been that sometimes the hatch isn't sufficient to meet our order. Since the weather is so weird now, and our garden isn't even producing tomatoes in the best tomato growing region in the US, I guess I would not blame Welp for that. Nature is becoming less predictable, it seems. And Nature doesn't take orders!

We would definitely recommend Welp. In fact, I am ordering from them today for our spring layers. Welp has been the best hatchery we have dealt with, earning our loyalty and repeat business.

They just shipped mine... the local Post Office called me to let me know they were there. Welp shipped on Wednesday and they were here Thursday Morning. When I called Welp on Monday they said that I'd probably get the Friday or maybe even Saturday. In hindsight, I should have listened to my little boy more, he insisted we turn on the heat-light Wednesday night. That was a good idea too because one of the bulbs popped and we were able to have a new one in place when the call came. Yeah, I'm going to have to ask his opinion more often, he's a sharp kid.

As for the chicks, there were 28 in the box, 4 that were a little if'y but everyone made it to Friday.

Back
Top Bottom