Welp, the HOA was notified

Pics
Where I moved to, for peace & quiet as well as freedom to have chickens, is zoned for such, agricultural/residential. After 10 years of peace, sounds I heard being my chickens & pigeons, owl hoots or fox barks at night, now things are unfortunately changing...& changing rapidly. It sucks. I now hear car alarms, lawn mowers, thumping music speakers, helicopters, sirens, barking dogs, people yelling or driving vehicles with loud pipes, at any given moment. They ripped up the historic train tracks & installed a stupid bike path for the tourons (moron tourists), so now there are trespassers constantly driving, bike riding & walking down this privately owned lane, despite signs posted as such, because curious tourons "just want to see what's here" & heard my roosters crowing or want to pet the neighbors horses & feed them things that could kill them or make them very ill. (Yes, it's happened)

There's no HOA on my section of gravel road, but regardless, things change whenever people move in. They bring their attitudes, rudeness & eventually someone complains about something (most times just cuz they're the miserable type always complaining) & someone with some type of position of authority gets their ear bent with that complaining & is compelled to Do Something just to shut the complainer up.

Rules can get changed or new rules get made, change is inevitable.

I feel bad for your scenario but you have few options, & those options will be ultimately decided by law, bi laws, zoning, & in your case HOA rules. Appeal is within your rights, but the results could go either way as you know, so do your best to be prepared & think of places your flock might be relocated to, for their sake.

I know I moved where I am now, so I could have my critters in peace. Things are not the same here. Civilization is closing in. I will probably be relocating again. This time, to a much more rural area, further from front line of the growth sprawl. Moving is a real PITA, but you may want to consider that going forward.

I hope your appeal gives you more time at least. Best of luck! 🌸
I love it: tourons. Here in Indiana we call them fips (freaking Illinois people). No offense to people from Illinois but you drive like jerks and throw trash everywhere and are just annoying to us country folk. It's more the Chicagoans we hate but I simply can't stand our little town being called "cute" or "quaint". We now have 2 Starbucks...ugh...

I love it: tourons. Here in Indiana we call them fips (freaking Illinois people). No offense to people from Illinois but you drive like jerks and throw trash everywhere and are just annoying to us country folk. It's more the Chicagoans we hate but I simply can't stand our little town being called "cute" or "quaint". We now have 2 Starbucks...ugh...
When you see the Starbucks moving in, it all over! They shut down the K-Mart & Pizza Hut due to lack of business, but Starbucks, charging $5 for a measly cup of Joe, is doing just fine. Now who buys the Grande-Cappa-Latte-Chinos? The city stickin tourons! 🙄

When you see the Starbucks moving in, it all over! They shut down the K-Mart & Pizza Hut due to lack of business, but Starbucks, charging $5 for a measly cup of Joe, is doing just fine. Now who buys the Grande-Cappa-Latte-Chinos? The city stickin tourons! 🙄
Drove by there today. They put it ironically where the old Kmart was. Loooooong line at the drive thru and it was 11 am. Who drinks coffee at 11 am?! It's gotten to the point I don't go downtown after 11 but we both had an eye exam today. Also I'm pretty sure it's like 7 bucks now for a coffee without the bells and whistles that tastes burnt.

$7 !!!! Every day ?!

Do they know how many hens you can feed for $7 a day !?!

You can even get them shelled sunflower seeds at that price! :th

(Sorry to be so far off topic)
It's been quite a while since I've been there...partly because I don't like their coffee and I'm not in college anymore. It is a rather nice wifi spot but they don't let you unless you buy a coffee. But you have a point there about how ridiculous the price is.

Anyways any news regarding a response from the HOA?

No response yet, I sent the letter on Thursday evening after work, on Friday I got an automatic email reply that it was being forwarded to the appropriate parties. (ie I sent it to the overall HOA management group per instructions on their notification and now they have to send it to my actual HOA 9_9)
Ah so you probably won't hear anything til Monday at the earliest. Hopefully they are least give you an extension so you can re-home them

It's been quite a while since I've been there... But you have a point there about how ridiculous the price is.
I understood your post (and the feelings behind it) honestly, I used to pay too much for "treats" to make life bearable when I had to live in the city. Now I use my 'treat-need' level as a barometer of unhappiness/happiness.

If I need to be bribed to go to work, I likely don't like the work/coworkers.

I understood your post (and the feelings behind it) honestly, I used to pay too much for "treats" to make life bearable when I had to live in the city. Now I use my 'treat-need' level as a barometer of unhappiness/happiness.

If I need to be bribed to go to work, I likely don't like the work/coworkers.
Very wise. I think for some people they don't know why they're treating themselves or that it's even a treat. When you do it too often it becomes habit. I saw a girl on a TV show that dared herself to go a week without buying anything. She couldn't do it. I felt really bad for her. She must be miserable:(

Yeah I got a notice today from the HOA about my chickens...after 5 years of owning them. Anyway, long story short, here's yet another thread asking 'has anyone faced their HOA and actually gotten them to back off/change rules/etc?' Any tips?

I am hoping to talk with the board before they start trying to levy fines and whatever, and see if there isn't at least a compromise that we can reach. Especially as one of my hens is chronically ill and is under veterinary care.

Also I love how they're giving me 10 days to 'remove the chickens'...they dated the letter the 9th, didn't mail it until the 11th, and I just got it today, the 16th. So um...10 days from when, exactly? 9_9

I don’t understand why it matters that you owned these animals for 5 years? You weren’t supposed to have them in the first place. I am not even able to fathom reading posts like yours because you have some sense of entitlement to own animals that are either against the rules, or the law. Did you not know the rules of your HOA before getting your chickens? If you did know, then why did you even get them? My tip is that you move somewhere not governed by HOA, or some kind of other laws that might hinder you from owning chickens. Otherwise, you have no standing to own these animals.

Back
Top Bottom