Welsh Harlequin Breed Club

Please let me know about the breed club (currently getting things lined up for a Cayuga club myself) but since I also love the welshed and have a holdereed drake (had a hen but lost her to a dog attack (her and my show quality Cayuga from there too!)please email me when the site is ready.. knightflyer fowl @ gmail (take out spaces and add .com to the end.

Last edited:
I'm really curious what the qualifiers are for the welsh harlequins. Here are mine.

I am interested in adding a couple Welsh Harlequin females to my flock. I think they are beautiful and have read about their calm and friendly temperament. However am having a hard time justifying spending 60 plus dollars to have 2 ducklings ship to me. I think I have decided to wait until next spring and try to find someone to split an order. There are a couple people a few hours away that have offered to supply hatching eggs, but I don't have an incubator and, I am not guaranteed females. My question is from your experience raising WH ducks, are they really as calm and friendly as I have read? I know it all depends on how they are raised, but I am mainly wanting them as pets. I would like to be able to handle them without a total freak out. I currently have an aylesbury (she is the ring leader), 3 pekins, and 2 mallards. The pekins and aylesbury are starting to come back around after a phase of "she is out to get us". The mallards have never been fans of being handled. I would like a duck that is calm and friendly and hoping the Welsh Harlequin is the answer. Any input would be great! Thanks!

I am interested in adding a couple Welsh Harlequin females to my flock. I think they are beautiful and have read about their calm and friendly temperament. However am having a hard time justifying spending 60 plus dollars to have 2 ducklings ship to me. I think I have decided to wait until next spring and try to find someone to split an order. There are a couple people a few hours away that have offered to supply hatching eggs, but I don't have an incubator and, I am not guaranteed females. My question is from your experience raising WH ducks, are they really as calm and friendly as I have read? I know it all depends on how they are raised, but I am mainly wanting them as pets. I would like to be able to handle them without a total freak out. I currently have an aylesbury (she is the ring leader), 3 pekins, and 2 mallards. The pekins and aylesbury are starting to come back around after a phase of "she is out to get us". The mallards have never been fans of being handled. I would like a duck that is calm and friendly and hoping the Welsh Harlequin is the answer. Any input would be great! Thanks!
It depends how much you handle them when they are little and their personalities. I've had mine and my silkie chicks from day old and they still run from me (but usually don't fuss when I pick them up). My gimp duck is probably most used to me though, because I spend the most time with her.

My advice is to contact your local feed store and ask them if they can special order them in for you. I paid $5 a piece for mine but had to buy 6 and sell the extras. I got 6 for $30 which is 1/2 the amount your talking about for 2.

Has anything ever come from this thread? Sorry for digging up an old post.. But I'm hoping to acquire some TSQ stock from Holderreads in the near future and I'm really interested in preserving the breed, restoring and/or bringing to life a quality breed, and showing. If anyone else is seriously interested as I can't find anything pertaining to any sort of America based breed club, please.. PM me or reply here. I'd be willing to get the ball rolling, even before I have the breed. It seems like this thread kind of fizzled out. I'd like some fellow do-ers to help. This is a dying, short lived breed listed as critically endangered.

@Jdc361 The birds are GREAT layers, beautiful, and endangered. The only con might be that they aren't as large as others (for meat), but they are medium sized and still quiet tasty! Once I get an area set up and safe from my dog I plan to get them again!

In searching google I did not find a National Welsh Harlequin club. Is this still in the works? I'd love a solid set of Standard perfection and contact with other breeders.

Last edited:
I ordered 5 welsh Harlequin ducklings from Meter Farms about 4 weeks ago. I had specifically ordered 2 females, 1 male and the rest straight run. Over the course of the first week they all changed so much i couldn't tell them apart. I know for sure one is a female. She is a loud quacker already while the rest are still peeping. the rest are also much darker than she is. I think maybe I only have 1 girl. Ive picked each of them up listening for a quack, but nothing yet. What a pretty breed though, and so relaxed and fun!

Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me if my drake is a silver phase or a gold phase keep in mind he is only 6 months old. He does have a blue win speculum too. Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom