Welsh Harlequin Breed Club

Hello I was wondering if someone could tell me if my drake is a silver phase or a gold phase keep in mind he is only 6 months old. He does have a blue win speculum too. Thank you!

Blue speculum is a silver phase. He's a nice looking boy!

I ordered 5 welsh Harlequin ducklings from Meter Farms about 4 weeks ago. I had specifically ordered 2 females, 1 male and the rest straight run. Over the course of the first week they all changed so much i couldn't tell them apart. I know for sure one is a female. She is a loud quacker already while the rest are still peeping. the rest are also much darker than she is. I think maybe I only have 1 girl. Ive picked each of them up listening for a quack, but nothing yet. What a pretty breed though, and so relaxed and fun!
Just in case you didn't know, you have a gold phase ducky (top picture in the front, same one in a couple different pictures). My avatar is my little Goldie also from Metzer. ;)

Last edited:
They are 12 weeks now.
I kept one gold phase girl, 3 silver phase girls and have one drake. (And my two white layer girls)
It all worked out very well. I love them! Such beautiful fun duckies!

Does anyone know if I could improve the quality of my ducks by breeding the best looking birds, and get them to be show quality eventually? How many generations would it take to get show quality birds? Could I get them to look like Holdereads line? My duckies are from Metzer.

I don't really know or care if they are show quality.
We got them from metzer, so I doubt it.

We wanted them for pets and eggs and they have been great, entertaining, wonderfully messy pets so far lol!

Could anyone tell me when WH ducks get their adult colors? My four girls are 15 weeks and three of them still have dark heads. They already went through their first molt. I'm assuming they won't molt again this winter. At least I hope they don't. Brrr Here is a picture from yesterday. It was their first experience with a big snow storm.

Back
Top Bottom