Welsh Harlequin Breeding Thread - People who are breeding or want to breed their WH's talk

The WHs will be 23 weeks old tomorrow. Haven't found another egg today.

EDIT:
Just kidding! There was another egg found, I just wasn't told.

Last edited:
Here are my gold ducks, Elizabeth and Delilah :)

Those are silvers. Golds will have bronze wing speculum, yours look very blue. Silvers have blue. Both varieties range in body color, the way to tell them apart is by the speculum. Almost all of our golds are just as dark as our silvers body wise.

Three pictures of some of our golds. Gold male and female, bronze wing speculum on a young drake, same gold hen pictured by herself. The black center markings on the feathers will also be diluted to bronze as well. Brown dilution causes all black to be changed to brown.

Last edited:
Those are silvers. Golds will have bronze wing speculum, yours look very blue. Silvers have blue. Both varieties range in body color, the way to tell them apart is by the speculum. Almost all of our golds are just as dark as our silvers body wise.

I have two silvers and two golds (with bronze speculums). Elizabeth and Delilah definitely have bronze speculums. I took picture comparisons when they were younger :)

This pic is of both golds kswaterfowl, and these are your babies

If they have bronze speculum in person then they are golds, from the pictures they just don't look gold. But I can't see them in person. Many people don't know the difference between the two varieties. I had one person show up with his birds entered in a show, and he was picking the birds with the lighter body color out as golds, not the birds with bronze speculum. Both varieties range in body color, but not degrees of gold-ness or silver-ness they either have a brown dilution or not. So we are trying very hard to educate breeders so we can get them standardized and then hopefully into the Standard.
K&S

Sounds good! Any idea how far off we are from getting then in the standard? I am entering both of my golds at the Washington Feather Fanciers show in November.

About two-three years, not enough breeders have had them for 5 consecutive years. We've had them for 13, and a couple others about the same or longer, but no one else to my knowledge and info has had them (knowing they weren't off colored) specifically breeding both varieties for at least 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom