Welsh Harlequin Breeding Thread - People who are breeding or want to breed their WH's talk

I have 3 pekins Who are almost 8 weeks old. We got them when they were 3-4 days old and handled them a lot. They liked us until they were around 4 weeks and then started the scared phase. They are not coming back around. There Is One That Always Comes Over To Me But The ring Leader Calls Her Back And So She will then go back with the other ducks. They are my best friend when I have treats and will eat out of my hand. I also have 1 pekin and 2 mallards that are 6 weeks old. The pekin is so calm when he is alone with us but if the mallards are around he only wants to be with them and the mallards have never been friendly even though we had them from day 1 and held them constantly. I am hoping they will come around someday. I really want a couple WH females. I think they are beautiful but will probably wait until next spring. I need to find someone to split an order with me to make it worth it.

Asteele, where are you located? If you're close enough, I'll split an order from Holderread's with you next spring. About that time, I'll be looking to expand my flock a little more.

And yeah, I think it also really depends on the line. My WHs aren't as social as others have said theirs are. The breeder I purchased mine from, purchased hers from efowl, which is one of the not-that-great hatcheries. From what I've read, Holderread is the best if you're looking for show quality plus good production and nice, friendly temperaments, and Metzer's is nice, too, for production and pets, and some people have nice show quality ducks from Metzer's. I think they even offer a prize if you win at least third place, though for which category, I'm unsure.

My ducks honestly aren't too concerned with us. They only start running away if we're walking at them or herding them, and they don't really "run" away, but quick-waddle. They *run* at us when we have food, lol. For the most part, though, they do their thing, we do our thing, and they aren't worried about us at all. They're really used to us because I always go out there and take pictures of them, lol.

Like this one!

Zombified I live in IL the boarder of IL and IA. I was looking at ordering from metzer or Holderread. I want females so that is why I was looking at Metzer because Holderread looked like they only sell straight run. I know Holderread has better ducks though. So still unsure.

I will be posting on the MI thread as well, since that I where I am located, but since this thread is about breeding WH, I thought I would mention that I just hatched out a batch of them yesterday. They are beautiful ducklings, and I have some extra available. I am pretty sure I have both Gold and Silver Phase (though I am not perfect at figuring that out when they are ducklings). And I am asking $6 a piece. Here are some pictures of the parents.

What part of MI? I live in IL (boarder of IA) but it would still be a pretty long drive for me to get there. I really want a couple female WH but will probably wait until next year.

Yeah, I am afraid it would be quite a drive. I live near Lapeer, which is at the base of the Thumb near Port Huron. So the far east side of the state. Hope you can find some near you!!

Back
Top Bottom