Welsh Harlequin Breeding Thread - People who are breeding or want to breed their WH's talk

Sherylreno ~ I have read the ALBC that is a good start to the breed overview. Will you be attending the show on the coast? I forget what town, somewhere north east of me.

Tahai ~ Thank-you for the link to Holderread. I did not see that part of his page. I like seeing the comparison of the body types(correct and not correct).

So it seams that the same rings true with the ducks that we tend of focus on the most apparent of traits - the color. Which is only what % of the judges score card?
What are the disqualifications?

I have not shown poultry. I showed horses in my younger days, I figure a few things ring true.
Just about anybody can enter.
How you place depend on a few things other than the SQ of you animal.
Did you get disqualified?
Who else is at the show, and which animals did they bring?
How was your presentation/performance that day?
And what did the Judge have for breakfast?(if you get my drift)

I would like to go to shows to network with other poultry lovers.

I know there's the Fresno show but I won't be going to it. I went to the Stockton show last month. We will have a show in Reno November 17th weekend. I hope you can make it to there if possible.

Quote: I am about 75 miles south of that latitude and my drakes tend to be in some degree of eclipse plumage at that time. I don't usually show my ducks but I do know there are a lot of fairs in August and have heard people who do show complain that they chose not to enter their best drakes because of the condition of their plumage at that time. Some people who show have several drakes and enter the one who is in best plumage. My ducks don't generally all molt and such all in sync together so at any given time there are some looking better than others. Holderread does talk about how to throw your whole flock into a molt at once in his laying chapter, I don't know if doing that could possibly influence getting them into nuptial plumage at a chosen point if you timed it right. Just a thought.
Hopefully someone who has more experience with showing will have some advice.

Thanks, DWD.

I don't plan to show, but I intend to provide ducks for local 4-H'ers and our County Fair is in August. I guess they'll have to learn to force molt as part of their showing preparations.

After reading the duck forum for some time now, I decided that If I ever got ducks they would be WH. I am not a duck person, or wasn't, until today. I do have chickens, guineas, and peafowl, but ducks just never interested me much. Today at the flea market there was a pair of WH, silver, and I just fell in love. I talked to the man selling them, then I left, went back to his booth, talked some more, left, and before I knew it I was the proud owner of these two beutiful ducks. I have no clue of their "quality" but to me they are beyond perfect.

So my question for now, and I am sure I will have many, is what do I feed them? My choices until Monday are, game bird grower, laying pellets - small size, cracked corn, sweet feed, and dog food. I have them in a makeshift pen with a large dog carrier (door removed) with hay in that. The floor of the pen is dirt. I put in a dishpan of water for them which they drank immediately, poor things were so thirsty, and then took turns climbing into. Do I need to pan feed them or ground feed them?

Not sure of their age but she is laying, she came with an egg. I did ask what hatchery they came from and was told they came from a breeder in Ocala, FL, so not sure of their heritage.

Thanks for any and all help.

Congratulations! I know how you feel right now.

Are they both hens? You can use laying pellets until you need to buy more feed and then I would use flock raiser with a protein of 20% and have oyster shell on the side. If you have a drake then you should use the game feed then.

I have my trio in with the chickens until they get their own area. The chickens taught the ducks to eat the oyster shell so I do not get any soft shelled eggs at all.

You'll notice they won't sleep inside anything at all. They may use the house to lay eggs but most people are not that lucky. I hate to repeat myself but the chickens taught the ducks where to lay as well and they lay their eggs in the nest boxes.

Are you planning on getting them a pond? You can always go to Walmart and purchase one of their kiddie pools. Put a ramp on it so they can get in and have a brick inside so they can get out.

Have fun with your new ducks!

Thank you so much for the reply. I have a male and a female so I fed them the game bird feed, for now at least. I went out this morning and she did indeed lay an egg in the dog crate. I have them in a makeshift pen in the corner of a 12 x 14 shed that my 6 chickens rooste and lay in. I will be figuring out a better living situation for them when it stops raining. So far my chickens and my guineas are going in and out of the coop checking out the ducks. The ducks don't seem to be bothered by the other birds staring at them.

I will admit that I am just thrilled to have these two join our little flock. We live on 5 acres of mostly woods. My chickens and adult guineas all free range, while my juvenile guineas are still kept in a pen since they won't adhere to the property boundery rules yet.

I will be getting the ducks a small wading pool for them to play in. My plan is to elevate the pool on a platform with a ramp for the ducks. I can't wait for them to be able to be outside the coop but I am going to keep them penned for now to monitor their health and to let them get used to me, the other animals, and all the new sounds around here.

I just candled the eggs and there are at least 8 ducklings. This was my first time doing anything like this and it gives a sense of how wonderful it is to watch an egg come to life.

Anyone in Colorado have an extra drake? Or maybe considering getting rid of their drake after their girls start setting? Let me know :D. I have 7 lovely welsh harlequin ladies just waiting for the right man to show them some good lovin'

I am looking for silver drake. Age is not an issue as long as he can still perform his drakely duties. As for appearance, as long as he fits the basic breed standard I'm fine. Personality is a factor because around here we eat the rude.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom