Welsh Harlequin eggs shipped to hatch

Yes if they lay down it has an auto turner. I didn’t know with them being so jiggly still they should be laid down on their side?
Some incubators are made that way. If they've rested for a good while you can lay them on their side. I don't have an incubator that lays them sideways so I don't know alot about that. But I do have an incubator that turns vertically so I can give you some advice. I would just let them turn sideways since that was what it is meant to do. It'll be ALOT easier than doing them vertically the way you were doing it. 😊

Some incubators are made that way. If they've rested for a good while you can lay them on their side. I don't have an incubator that lays them sideways so I don't know alot about that. But I do have an incubator that turns vertically so I can give you some advice. I would just let them turn sideways since that was what it is meant to do. It'll be ALOT easier than doing them vertically the way you were doing it. 😊
I’ve been doing lots of reading, I’m thinking since I already have them in there vertical I’ll leave them for 24-48 hours like that and then lay them down and let the turner do it’s thing.

@Everose you just did shipped eggs right??
I did!
Will you share your process with me?
Sure.
First I weigh and number each individual egg upon arrival, then I candle and record any jiggly or saddled air cells, if you see watery liquid at the top of the egg then the air cell is broken and there's no way it'll survive.
I would normally let them rest for 24hrs, but my eggs sat in the post office over the weekend so I just popped them in the waiting incubator. I candled on day 10 (once or twice before but I won't remove any until day 10) and record weight. They tend to lose more weight towards the end of incubation, but if you notice a lot, or hardly any weight loss, you'll want to adjust your humidity.

I did!

Sure.
First I weigh and number each individual egg upon arrival, then I candle and record any jiggly or saddled air cells, if you see watery liquid at the top of the egg then the air cell is broken and there's no way it'll survive.
I would normally let them rest for 24hrs, but my eggs sat in the post office over the weekend so I just popped them in the waiting incubator. I candled on day 10 (once or twice before but I won't remove any until day 10) and record weight. They tend to lose more weight towards the end of incubation, but if you notice a lot, or hardly any weight loss, you'll want to adjust your humidity.
K great thank you! I’ve never weighed them before. Do you think it’s too late to do that? I put them in the incubator last night.

I hurried and weighed them and daaaaang those ladies are consistent! I don’t know if that’s normal? I’ve never weighed eggs when incubating. But I couldn’t believe 4 were 2.39 oz and 2 were 2.53 oz!

Also the air cells seem to be in better shape than yesterday. Yesterday 2 looked saddled to me and today none did. Yesterday they all jiggled and today there were a few that no longer jiggle. 2 seem to be detached but I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have any experience with inspecting air cells.

So I got my fingers crossed and will check them again later this week!

69AA33CA-4CFB-4C0E-A29C-EFCDE314F94C.jpeg

I hurried and weighed them and daaaaang those ladies are consistent! I don’t know if that’s normal? I’ve never weighed eggs when incubating. But I couldn’t believe 4 were 2.39 oz and 2 were 2.53 oz!

Also the air cells seem to be in better shape than yesterday. Yesterday 2 looked saddled to me and today none did. Yesterday they all jiggled and today there were a few that no longer jiggle. 2 seem to be detached but I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have any experience with inspecting air cells.

So I got my fingers crossed and will check them again later this week!

View attachment 3078405
Don't worry too much, I had a couple jiggly ones, a few saddled too. It's something that happens during shipping when the package gets banged up.
They ended up hatching with no problems at all.
IMG_20220420_220844676.jpg

Don't worry too much, I had a couple jiggly ones, a few saddled too. It's something that happens during shipping when the package gets banged up.
They ended up hatching with no problems at all.
View attachment 3078493
It’s my first time with shipped eggs so Ive been worrying, especially cause my kids have their hearts set on some welsh harlequins. But candling today made me feel better. Did all yours hatch?

Back
Top Bottom