Welsh Harlequin eggs shipped to hatch

BabyGotQuack

Crowing
Sep 15, 2021
Utah
I have some WH eggs for hatching being shipped out tomorrow. I’ve incubated quite a bit but only from my own flocks eggs so as far as incubating I’ve got that down.

This is my first time getting eggs shipped to me, help me with the shipped part!! So far I’ve read that....

1. I should let them rest once I get them. Pointy side down for 12-24 hours?

2. I shouldn’t rotate them for the first 7 days?

3. Incubate them vertical?

What else do shipped hatching eggs require?

I’m also gonna do a hatch a long for those interested! I’ve never done one but have loved following others. So stay tuned!

@Everose you just did shipped eggs right??
I did!
Will you share your process with me?
Sure.
First I weigh and number each individual egg upon arrival, then I candle and record any jiggly or saddled air cells, if you see watery liquid at the top of the egg then the air cell is broken and there's no way it'll survive.
I would normally let them rest for 24hrs, but my eggs sat in the post office over the weekend so I just popped them in the waiting incubator. I candled on day 10 (once or twice before but I won't remove any until day 10) and record weight. They tend to lose more weight towards the end of incubation, but if you notice a lot, or hardly any weight loss, you'll want to adjust your humidity.

I hurried and weighed them and daaaaang those ladies are consistent! I don’t know if that’s normal? I’ve never weighed eggs when incubating. But I couldn’t believe 4 were 2.39 oz and 2 were 2.53 oz!

Also the air cells seem to be in better shape than yesterday. Yesterday 2 looked saddled to me and today none did. Yesterday they all jiggled and today there were a few that no longer jiggle. 2 seem to be detached but I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have any experience with inspecting air cells.

So I got my fingers crossed and will check them again later this week!

69AA33CA-4CFB-4C0E-A29C-EFCDE314F94C.jpeg

I hurried and weighed them and daaaaang those ladies are consistent! I don’t know if that’s normal? I’ve never weighed eggs when incubating. But I couldn’t believe 4 were 2.39 oz and 2 were 2.53 oz!

Also the air cells seem to be in better shape than yesterday. Yesterday 2 looked saddled to me and today none did. Yesterday they all jiggled and today there were a few that no longer jiggle. 2 seem to be detached but I’m not 100% sure because I don’t have any experience with inspecting air cells.

So I got my fingers crossed and will check them again later this week!

View attachment 3078405
Don't worry too much, I had a couple jiggly ones, a few saddled too. It's something that happens during shipping when the package gets banged up.
They ended up hatching with no problems at all.
IMG_20220420_220844676.jpg

Just a little update....

I’ve still got them going vertical, I was gonna lay them down so I could use the auto turner but forgot I’ve got 8 eggs in there and my turner will only do 7. So I am still turning by hand every few hours and can’t help myself and did some candling and I can see very faint small veins and a heartbeat on one of the eggs!

I know it’s still early and anything can happen but knowing atleast one is on it’s way is getting me excited. I’ve been reading so many horror stories about shipped eggs so I’ve kinda had a glass half empty attitude. I’m hoping tomorrow has lots of veins and heartbeats!!

Today’s update....

Day 6
#1 infertile

#2 fertile, strong veins and heartbeat!

#3 infertile

#4 based on yolk color I believe it was fertile but didn’t make it very far, no veins that I can see

#5 infertile

#6 fertile, but doesn’t look far enough along for day 6 and I believe I see the start of a blood ring

#7 fertile, but doesn’t look far enough along for day 6. Possible early quitter?

#8 fertile, but doesn’t look far enough along for day 6. Possible early quitter?

So not looking good, I’m gonna keep them all in there for a few more days and check again. But I’m thinking so far I’ve only got one 😭 but I’ve got my fingers crossed for #7 & #8

So here’s egg #2, the one that looks great. I do have a question though. All my eggs from my own flock that I’ve hatched the embryo was more in the middle of the egg. This shipped one is super close to the air cell, is that ok or gonna be a problem?
6CA48799-3DE7-4299-9DF2-EC68AFB19BB0.jpeg

So we are on day 24 and are down to 2 eggs but they both look good and one is a rockin and rollin around! Gonna check again tonight for internal pips to make sure we don’t need to lockdown early.

Also my metzer ducklings shipped today so they should arrive really close to hatch!

Back
Top Bottom