welsh harlequin size? or appleyards? UPDATED with pics!

Those are typical and correct Silver Appleyards. Very pretty! Rouens are also a meat breed, so could easily be the same size as the SA. How old are your Silver Appleyards? My mature Appleyards weighed in the 8 - 10 lb range (like 2 yrs old and up), the ducklings weren't that big in their first year.

Oops forgot the dark bills, no, those are not so desirable, but they are definitely SA's none the less.

BTW, I've seen large Cayugas and it looks like yours is just a big one! Nice though.

Last edited:
The drake does not appear to have the facial stripes of an appleyard male- but the females do and more closely resemble a silver appleyard than a WH because of it. You may have some cross bred birds there, as they do have faults in the colouring of plumage for both breeds. I have only kept appleyard females in the past- and wonder if the males only display the white facial stripes at certain times of the year ?? This could be an explaination of why your drake looks more like a WH. Either way you could find better examples of the breed. While all very pretty- it looks like a utility cross bred strain, with many improvements being able to be made before they look like the standards are for the breed. While you wait for spring- do some searching for a good reputable breeder who will be able to supply you with some purebred birds in the spring.

Quote:
2x... WH do not have an eyestripe at all. BTW... love how your goosey-goose was all horning in on the picture
smile.png

Quote:
ok, appleyards it is!

they're about 6 months old. the rest of the ducks are probably right at 4 months.

the cayuga drake in the picture is the smaller of the two drakes, he's pretty big, but he's got a bigger brother. beautiful birds, but... I think I've got white on the wing tips on both drakes... probably not a good thing.

Quote:
they are pretty - I'm thinking they'll keep me entertained all winter. I do have some better quality breeder eggs arranged for spring already, and will probably try to get some show quality ducklings from holdereads.

I do rather like the dark bills though, too bad that's a fault in the appleyards.

Quote:
yeah I didn't notice that until I was sorting through the photos to pick the ones to post - that goose is in nearly EVERY shot!
lol.png

I've got 4 brown chineese, can't tell yet if I've got ganders or geese or both... hoping for both.

This is a very old post, but I found it searching. I looked at your picture and I almost think they are a mix between WH and Appleyards. I have 2 Appleyards and they do not have black beaks. When searching appleyards I do not see any that have any black beaks? I just picked up the two WH last night and I am hoping they really are WH as they kind of look like your ducks....

(Back two are the WH ..front 2 are my appleyards)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom