Welsh Harlequin with swollen foot, can barely walk.

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @casportpony @416bigbore
I did not notice anything when i let my ducks out this morning, nor anything yesterday morning, i didn’t put them away myself last night due to a meeting, Willow here didnt get up and come say hello when i went to put them away tonight. When she tried to walk she had to help herself along with her wings. Upon closer inspection I see her foot is extremely swollen and she has a small bumble showing on the pad, the other foot looks ok except she folds it up when i pick her up, perhaps she just can’t manage to hold it stiff. Could maybe be a bee sting? An injury? They live on grass and with our great rains lately mud. I dont see an obvious injury to explain the sudden swelling. I brought her inside and brought her buddy Violet inside too to keep her company and hopefully reduce stress. Going to get some water now, she’s roughly 2-3 years old, eats Nutrina all flock and I believe has been laying eggs regularly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• D0B077CC-122E-49AA-9546-7E81BAEEA755.jpeg
    D0B077CC-122E-49AA-9546-7E81BAEEA755.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 20
  • B096434E-24FF-4F99-A1BB-1812F34C82B2.jpeg
    B096434E-24FF-4F99-A1BB-1812F34C82B2.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 10
  • CC5FBB47-3866-410B-B923-7B9BBF040B7A.jpeg
    CC5FBB47-3866-410B-B923-7B9BBF040B7A.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 4CA9AE82-265E-443E-8E1E-3A1ADAEFDA03.jpeg
    4CA9AE82-265E-443E-8E1E-3A1ADAEFDA03.jpeg
    636.3 KB · Views: 10
It's most likely the infection of the bumblefoot. Soak in Epsom salts to soften the skin, then pull out the plug. Look up some threads with the treatment and aftercare as well.

Oh? With this duck or a different duck? Maybe seek out a vet if you don't feel comfortable tackling the bumble again.
different duck, I will give it a try, an avian vet is difficult to come by here. my understanding from all of my reading is that it is a kernel inside there, I have to cut the skin away from the edge of the kernel and pry the scaby exposed part off and the kernel should pop out, sounds simple but the last round of it didn't go quite like that, lots of blood, not much scab and a long healing process including weeks of epsom salt soaks. all the pictures I see it looks so easy. I am not squeamish about this sort of thing, I deal with dead animals, dead/dying/injured people, and other unpleasantries on a more regular basis than I would prefer, I just didn't have good luck last time and am a bit nervous about causing her more problems.

different duck, I will give it a try, an avian vet is difficult to come by here. my understanding from all of my reading is that it is a kernel inside there, I have to cut the skin away from the edge of the kernel and pry the scaby exposed part off and the kernel should pop out, sounds simple but the last round of it didn't go quite like that, lots of blood, not much scab and a long healing process including weeks of epsom salt soaks. all the pictures I see it looks so easy. I am not squeamish about this sort of thing, I deal with dead animals, dead/dying/injured people, and other unpleasantries on a more regular basis than I would prefer, I just didn't have good luck last time and am a bit nervous about causing her more problems.
Oh yeah. I understand. Nothing ever works the same for me either. I would soak for a good long time first before trying to get the kernel out, but maybe that's what you did before as well?
Good luck. Hope it works out better this time.
:hugs

So after an eventful morning that started at 4 am, i did a little surgery. I got the scab off and a couple little pieces of bumble but not all of it, it looks quite deep, some I have seen in my viewing and reading are quite extensive and oddly shaped. It’s like pulling on a rubber band in there that keeps breaking off, I tried cutting a little deeper but I didn’t seem to be making headway so i packed it with tripple antibiotic and bandaged it. I have her and violet in the house for monitoring and ideally to stay cleaner.

When my Runner had bumble it was a hard kernel so I was able to slit open the skin and I pop it out. When it’s spread out like yours it’s harder to work on. For me anyway.
CF382FE3-6F0A-4647-92F7-9D34A3E2B08C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom