Welsh Harlequin

HELP! Is this welsh harlequin male or female it looks male. I paid extra charges to ensure it was a female so I want extra opinions on whether or not it is male or female! Please!

That bill certainly looks like it wants to be green doesn't it? How old is it? Is it old enough to quack vs. rasp yet? That is the best way to tell.

This is my first time raising ducks (seven 5-week-old ducklings as of yesterday). Two are WH and they are by far the calmest of all my ducklings. I have been moving them inside at night and out to a day pen during the day since they were about three weeks old and the WH are typically the only two who don't have a complete fit each time I pick them up. One in particular seems to be very calm and she will even almost wait for me to pick her up, rather than running like a crazed lunatic to get away from me. Which brings me to a question... you would think by 5 weeks old, being handled every day, fed from my hand, that they would not still be freaking out every time its time to catch them to move them. Does this lessen after a while or will they always just have that flight/flee response? (BTW, I have four runners...one of which I presume was a mistake on Metzer's part and is actually a Cayuga, one KC and two WH).

That bill certainly looks like it wants to be green doesn't it?  How old is it?  Is it old enough to quack vs. rasp yet?  That is the best way to tell.
6 1/2 weeks and it sounds like a hoarse quack but all around neither quack much

This is my first time raising ducks (seven 5-week-old ducklings as of yesterday). Two are WH and they are by far the calmest of all my ducklings. I have been moving them inside at night and out to a day pen during the day since they were about three weeks old and the WH are typically the only two who don't have a complete fit each time I pick them up. One in particular seems to be very calm and she will even almost wait for me to pick her up, rather than running like a crazed lunatic to get away from me. Which brings me to a question... you would think by 5 weeks old, being handled every day, fed from my hand, that they would not still be freaking out every time its time to catch them to move them. Does this lessen after a while or will they always just have that flight/flee response? (BTW, I have four runners...one of which I presume was a mistake on Metzer's part and is actually a Cayuga, one KC and two WH).

Mine are always crazy when I try to pick them up and they have been handled for over a year. Once I get them picked up they are fine. I've heard from others on this board that is normal for ducks.

6 1/2 weeks and it sounds like a hoarse quack but all around neither quack much

Have you tried taking one away from the other for a minute? That is usually all it takes to get mine quacking to see if they are girls or boys. I just pick one up and walk a few feet away. Chaotic quacking and rasping starts pretty much immediately.

Have you tried taking one away from the other for a minute?  That is usually all it takes to get mine quacking to see if they are girls or boys.  I just pick one up and walk a few feet away.  Chaotic quacking and rasping starts pretty much immediately.
Yes hahah that's the only times I've heard the raspy quack

I emailed metzer farms and they swear it's still a female soooo we will see but I will email again when it never lays eggs.

Back
Top Bottom