Welsh Harlequin

The one that is more reddish brown has a trail feather that is curling already. But the one that is more white appears to have some green coming in on the neck. Is it OK to have 2 makes together?
As long as you only have males they should be fine together. If you have chicken though that won't be good for them.

Are my duckies male or female?

Off topic, but how did you build the watering hole? Does the tub lift out to change the water?
@rvecellio

Marlene

The one that is more reddish brown has a trail feather that is curling already. But the one that is more white appears to have some green coming in on the neck. Is it OK to have 2 makes together?

Sure, it's okay as long as you don't plan on breeding, or need eggs or perhaps want them to have some mating fun. The two males will do fine.

Quote:
I am getting 3 Welsh Harlequins from Metzger in a week. We had come into some duck eggs and put them under a Silkie chicken and she hatched out one KC drake. So we went to the Humane Society and adopted 2 female mixed breeds to keep him company. Unfortunately the KC was killed this week by a predator. My son was crushed and had to have another baby. So now we are getting 3 more. We didn't raise the KC, the Silkie did. So now we will be setting up a brooder again. I thought the babies were going to be more golden than brown based on the picture on their website. Are they really brown? no difference, just curious. Marlene

Sure, it's okay as long as you don't plan on breeding, or need eggs or perhaps want them to have some mating fun. The two males will do fine.

Thanks for the info. I got them for pets, so it doesn't matter much to me about eggs or breeding. They are so stinking cute

I got my first ducks about 6 weeks ago, and he said they we two weeks old then. Its supposed to be 2 ducks and one drake, he toe punched the ducks at hatch, and left the drakes alone. he said its only a 90% accuracy, so I just wanted to see if thats what they still look like, especially since these are my first ducks. I drove 2 hours to get them and 2 hours back, so I just wanted to make sure I got what I got.

One of the silvery ones has hole punches, and the goldish one has the hole punches. Are these gold phase and silver phase, or is the color difference due to gender. If its the gold vs silver, are they ok to breed together, or will that make mutt colors?

After doing research for months we chose to get 2 female Welsh Harlequins. I LOVED the colors! My other choice was the Cayuga but I felt I had to have some welshies lol. I ordered them from Metzers and they came just fine and healthy. They are about 2 weeks old now and starting to warm up to us finally. I'm so happy to have found a group who also shares a love for this beautiful bird
1f60a.png

This is the day we got them. The lighter one is Gabby because she always has a lot to say, even as a duckling lol. The darker one is Abigail.

This was taken a couple days ago.

Last edited:
After doing research for months we chose to get 2 female Welsh Harlequins. I LOVED the colors! My other choice was the Cayuga but I felt I had to have some welshies lol. I ordered them from Metzers and they came just fine and healthy. They are about 2 weeks old now and starting to warm up to us finally. I'm so happy to have found a group who also shares a love for this beautiful bird
1f60a.png

This is the day we got them. The lighter one is Gabby because she always has a lot to say, even as a duckling lol. The darker one is Abigail.

This was taken a couple days ago.

You are smart I have both a Cayuga and welsh harlequin if I could I'd go back and get another welsh harlequin it is the only duck I have that genuinely likes to be around people!

We chose the welsh harlequin because from the information I was able to find they are a good all around bird for meat and eggs and their temperament is supposed to be calm. Every bird is different but I'm hoping that's true and I'm hoping they won't be super loud. We live outside the city but in an area that is a neighborhood with houses on all sides.

Back
Top Bottom