Welsh Harlequin

Joining you all.

I just got 4 adult WH ducks today! THey are sweet! They are rehomed from a friend that couldn't have them in town anymore. :( Her loss, my gain. :)

Anyway, couple of quick questions if you all don't mind? Will there be an adjustment period before they start laying (like with chickens)? or should I expect eggs pretty quick? THey don't seem too freaked out. They started eating and drinking right away when I put them in the coop.

Second question, if I free range ducks will they lay in the coop or is it an Easter Egg hunt every day? LOL!

Keep the ducks in until about 9 am and they will likely lay in the coop. Most ducks lay before 9 am in the morning. Give them a couple of golf balls as "fake eggs" to teach them where you want them to lay.

I recently received 13 WH from Holderread's: 10 production quality, and 3 top show quality. I noticed the TSQ ducklings are all darker in color than the PQ. Is this a pretty good indicator of how well colored they will be as adults, or is it just pure coincidence?

I was also wondering about ducking type and color. I got 10 WH from Metzer. The coloring varies from almost full yellow w/ slight fawn to dark game bird type colorings, some have dark feet, and some are lighter. I tried to look for the spot on the tip of bills for females, some are obvious and some had more of a stripe down center w/dark tip, others(male) with noticeably darker bills. I am not good at sexing my Dorkings either, I guess it takes practice.

I have read that the coloring will not be true until their second year, which if fine I do not breed my birds till their second year.
But when will the boys tail feathers start to flip, or voice develop, All but two of them are going down the road.
I assume the ducks start to lay around 20 weeks like chickens?

I have had my adult ducks for a little over a week now and they have started laying eggs! Yeah! I also didn't know that ducks only mate in the water, or at least mine do. Its pretty funny to watch them when you put new water in their pool. They go nuts and take a bath, mate, etc... But hooray for eggs. We are just going to eat and cook with them for now, but if I ever want ducklings I am sure they are fertile. :)

I have had my adult ducks for a little over a week now and they have started laying eggs! Yeah! I also didn't know that ducks only mate in the water, or at least mine do. Its pretty funny to watch them when you put new water in their pool. They go nuts and take a bath, mate, etc... But hooray for eggs. We are just going to eat and cook with them for now, but if I ever want ducklings I am sure they are fertile. :)

My ducks mate any time, any where. All the time, every day. They're very busy. But I have to say, my fertility this year (with 28 eggs set) has been 100% and so has my hatch rate! Isn't that crazy. I love my ducks.

I noticed the dark fuzz on the TSQs as well! All 6 of mine are yellow with black. Very cute too. I vent sexed all 6 and im pretty sure I have 2 males, and 4 females. I will keep the best hens, and the best drake. Maybe 3 hens if they look ok.

Last edited:
Ok. Yes, mine are now mating all the time. I guess they are still getting adjusted to their surroundings. We have eaten our duck eggs this week and we all like them. The kids think its awesome and request the "BIG" duck eggs over the chicken eggs.

Wow. I can definitely tell the difference between my TSQ and my PQ. While all are healthy and strong, the TSQ are bigger, stronger, and darker, with the earliest feather development of the group. They are also the most alert, and, so far, seem to be the watch-ducks for the flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom