Welsh harlequins...Male? Female? Ugh help!

Haha! Yeah sometimes when their voice is changing you'll hear what you are hoping is a quack. ..I think they try to keep you fooled long enough so you get good and attached to them and won't wanna invite them to freezer camp.

Not if that one keeps up quacking like that.
You just can never tell by appearance.
I have a hen with a white neck ring you would have thought that was going to be a Drake for sure. Nope.
The one you’re holding sounds like baby sounds still, the one running does sound like it quacks, but that being said, the first runner duckling I hatched started making squeaky quacks and then suddenly went nearly silent and raspy. And presented a very obvious male appendage shortly after. Haha.
The one I was holding does quack and it is very quiet and Breathy... does that help?

The one I was holding does quack and it is very quiet and Breathy... does that help?
Definitely a boy, he was making typical boy noises in the video. :) it’s harder to compare when you don’t have a truly obvious girl to compare to. And they do have a funny transition period when their voice is still changing. Eventually it settles into their “adult” voice.

The one you are holding did not quack it is transitioning into a raspy Drake sound I do believe.
if everyone would listen all the way through to the end of the video the duck on the ground lets out an obvious female sounding quack at the end.
Just sayin. I am not saying it can't still go the other way... but there is a female QUACK from that duck on the ground at the end of the video.
listen to the video I posted of my Drakes and what they sound like. That is what a drake will sound like when they are adults if it is a Drake.

This video is from when my little drakelet was about 5 weeks old or so. You can hear clearly the baby sounds, the different voices of the 2 mature females, and the peeping that turns into an odd quack sound.

That being said, the duck on the ground in your video has a much more pronounced quack sound which may indicate a more poorly colored female. :)

Back
Top Bottom