Welsummer bantam sitting on duck eggs

Pics

Sambowling

Songster
May 18, 2021
My welsummer bantam is sitting on 5 of her eggs. I think they infertile as I candled them and there is nothing inside, despite the cockerel mating with her. I also put 2 duck eggs beside her and she pulled them under. It is day 12 for the duck eggs and I candled them yesterday and there is a growth and veins inside. Should I remove the dud hen eggs or will thus upset her. I don't want to risk the duck eggs. Thanks 🐣

My welsummer bantam is sitting on 5 of her eggs. I think they infertile as I candled them and there is nothing inside, despite the cockerel mating with her. I also put 2 duck eggs beside her and she pulled them under. It is day 12 for the duck eggs and I candled them yesterday and there is a growth and veins inside. Should I remove the dud hen eggs or will thus upset her. I don't want to risk the duck eggs. Thanks 🐣
She should remove them once she is ready herself.

Thanks I also heard that ducks sometimes struggle to get out of the eggs by themselves will my bantam assist them or do we need to be on hands to help out nearer the time of hatch day

It is now day 14 underneath my bantam Jemima. I candles 2 duck eggs and I could see veins and a little black shape jumping around inside - hoping this is a good sign! I bought these ducks eggs from Waitrose supermarket as I have read on the internet about other people hatching them. Bought them to make a cake and thought I would just pop them under my broody girl and hey presto!

Looks like we may be getting 2 Braddock Whites soon fingers crossed!

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 12
It is now Day 21 for the duck eggs and a week to go until Hatch day. is there anything I need to look out for a few days before Hatch day. Will I need to help out in any way or will the Bantam do it all herself.

Since there are only 2 eggs under her she should be giving them plenty of heat. Humidity too hopefully since chickens don't bathe it won't be like a duck sitting though but I still think she'll do fine. Just make sure that her nest is safe from other birds you have and of course predators. Give ducklings a safe waterer, okay to start with a chick waterer as long as they can't climb into it. After a week they need something like this
0DA23986-13AF-4B3B-B493-DF7A0B39F4F1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom