Welsummer/Bielefelder Cross ?

crazy4bassin

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2015
I really stink at this chicken genetics thing and was hoping for some help. I have both Bielefelder and Welsummer hens and a Roo of each also. The question I have is the differences between a Bielefelder over Welsummer and Welsummer over Bielefelder ?

Both ways will give you the same looking males. They'll resemble Bielefelders but will only have one barring gene so they'll have smaller white bars.
Welsummer over Bielefelder will give you sex link offspring.
Females will not have barring or a headspot (when hatched). They'll look like a Welsummer as adults.
Bielefelder over Welsummer will give you barred females and they'll look like Bielefelder as adults.

Thanks for posting this question! I have some eggs hopefully a few days from hatching that I believe are from a Bielefelder rooster and Welsummer hens. I may separate those when it comes time for lockdown so I can get a hen or 2 separated out.

Both ways will give you the same looking males. They'll resemble Bielefelders but will only have one barring gene so they'll have smaller white bars.
Welsummer over Bielefelder will give you sex link offspring.
Females will not have barring or a headspot (when hatched). They'll look like a Welsummer as adults.
Bielefelder over Welsummer will give you barred females and they'll look like Bielefelder as adults.
Sorry for the late Thank you but things went a bit crazy around here. I knew one way would be sex links but wasn’t positive which. My Wellsummer pullets just started laying so in a few weeks I’ll throw some in the slow cooker. Thanks again !!!

Thanks for posting this question! I have some eggs hopefully a few days from hatching that I believe are from a Bielefelder rooster and Welsummer hens. I may separate those when it comes time for lockdown so I can get a hen or 2 separated out.
How did your hatch go???

I really stink at this chicken genetics thing and was hoping for some help. I have both Bielefelder and Welsummer hens and a Roo of each also. The question I have is the differences between a Bielefelder over Welsummer and Welsummer over Bielefelder ?
a bielefelder actually came from Germany and is a cross with I think 4 birds, and one is welsummer so they're kind of alike! just got my first 2 female bielefelders! was reading on Murray mcmurray about em today

I just happened across this thread when I was looking for something else...
I just hatched out a batch of chicks yesterday that are Welsummer Roo X Bielefelder Hen.
20230417_160149.jpg
20230417_160110.jpg

I have a split batch like this. Half are dark chipmunk and the other half is light chipmunk.

Mine just hatched two days ago and there's a mix of welsummer and cinnamon queen and cream legbar to my bielvefelder roo.Those other soild black and the white one are from my ees and a lavender araucana roo.

Attachments

• 20230508_093319.jpg
    20230508_093319.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
How did your hatch turn out? I’m a couple days away from finally getting a batch in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom