welsummer boy/girl??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Eggcellent Adventure, May 22, 2011.

1. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi,

From a complete beginner's eye, I'm thinking we have a boy and a girl welsummer. Hoping for 2 girls, but what do you think?? One has such pointy back feathers, but very small comb. He/She is such a sweetheart of the 4 we have!

This is "pepsi" who we think might be a boy since the tail feathers...
    [​IMG]

another Pepsi photo:
    [​IMG]

This is "cola" the one we think is a girl for comparison:
    [​IMG]

If we do have a boy, any thoughts on welsummer roosters - quiet/loud, calm/aggressive in general?

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Looks girly to me. The boys will get black breast and tail feathers and you'll see red coming in on the wing-bows.

You can feather sex them as young chicks too. The girls will have a distinct dark 'V' on their heads where the boys its lighter and more blurry. If you are still in doubt, go back to their baby pictures and look at their heads.

I love my Welsummer and hope that you enjoy yours too!

3. Eggcellent Adventure

Mar 27, 2011
    Oh, I hope so! [​IMG] As babies they both had the distinct v and eye liner look, looked alike then. It was the tail feathers that started to look so different now that we started to worry. But maybe that's just the way they are coming in...

4. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    You have two pullets. At that age the roosters really haven't grown in the black with red chest, however they are a little more discolored and blotchy.

5. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks like a girl to me..if you scroll down the page, just two days ago i put up my welsummer rooster...the comb is huge..my girls have ones that look like this...his is already turning red and grows everyday.

6. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
  7. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like girls to me

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both are girls. If you had a boy, you'd know it as the comb would be large already and he'd have black on his chest.

Here's a cockeral in front with a pullet in the back:
    [​IMG]

10. Eggcellent Adventure

Mar 27, 2011
    I can see now by the pics what you mean! [​IMG] Thanks!!!! It's great to have a comparison and I'm looking forward to more eggs now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by