1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Welsummer : Eggs and Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tannysue88, Jan 14, 2016.

1. tannysue88

tannysue88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2015
    Navasota, TX
    Howdy!

I have a question! If someone has a Welsummer Hen but she doesn't produce dark brown eggs, say hers are lighter with brown spots etc. would that mean that her offspring will also tend to have the same coloring?

Any thoughts are appreciated. :)

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Very likely. Lighter brown eggs are not uncommon with hatchery quality Welsummer hens that do not meet SOP standards.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

I have had one Welsummer lay very dark eggs, one lay the lighter eggs with blotches, and several Welsummer crosses that laid just regular brown eggs, which the breeder fully expected as the dark brown is not dominant.

The dark brown wash is pretty complicated genetics, and once you've lost it in the hen, she won't be adding it to her offspring.

It has been my experience that once lost, it doesn't throw back...but I am just starting my dark egg breeding program.

I've read that typically you get a middle road if you breed dark to light...a middle tan. If you breed light/splotchy to dark??? I don't think you'll get dark.

I remove those hens from the breeding as I don't won't that cropping up in my dark line.

LofMc

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by