Welsummer hen is not standing, laying on her sides, need help.

Nc chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
All was fine, night comes and everyone is perched and healthy. Open the door in the morning and our Welsummer was on the ground and cant get up on her legs, like she is off balance and her poop is loose but she eats and drinks and is alert. Help! Any info would be great! Iris

I’m not a vet but I would suggest first isolating her from the others, keeping her in a warm place with water, maybe no food for a bit just in case. Go to your local feed store and ask around, that’s what I did when one of mine was sick and they gave me some meds for her and now she’s all good, sorry there’s not much more I can give you, hope everything works out!

I agree with bringing her in if possible to a basket or dog crate where it is warm to observe her. Offer her a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell electrolytes with vitamins. Get her drinking, and you can use some Gatorade in a pinch for electrolytes, or add 1 tsp of sugar and a small pinch of salt to a quart/liter of water. Feel of her crop to check if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy. Is she low in the pecking order? Pictures of her poop and of her as she lies down are welcome. Dehydration from being kept or unable to drink and eat, or something more serious, such as Mareks disease, poisoning, or other problems may be possible. Coccidiosis can cause runny poops, lethargy, weakness, not eating or drinking, and appearing hunched or puffed up are symptoms. Corid is the treatment for that, but I would first give electeolytes, and water. Right now, it could be anything.

Back
Top Bottom