Welsummer hen seems egg bound, but is pooping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CurlyLindsay, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CurlyLindsay

CurlyLindsay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    MO
    I have a Welsummer laying hen who seems to have a strange (to me) combination of symptoms.

She is in good/normal condition. I'm unsure of age, she was a poultry swap buy, but only lays about 3 eggs a week at best, so maybe older.

Symptoms:
    1. Limping/walking gingerly
    2. Sitting almost constantly and in strange places over last two days
    3. When she stands she looks like she's doing something with her tail / straining?

Which sounds classic for egg bound except:
    1. She's pooping.
    2. I think I've heard her cough twice in the hour or so I've had her under close observation.

All 7 other hens seem fine. And this one actually seems lively and very aware.

Is she eggbound? It sounds like it but the pooping and maybe coughing has me confused- I searched the forum but didn't find an answer in previous posts.

I currently have her in the garage in a dog crate positioned over a bucket with a bucket heater in it to create some steam.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    When my chicken was egg bound she was pooping too. I guess it just didnt come down far enough to block the poop passage way. It sounds like egg binding to me.

Give her a warm bath
    Massage her abdomen
    Massage downward

You may need to help her push the egg out. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by