Welsummer - Lucy's 2nd egg - WOAH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gooter, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Gooter

Gooter In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    central VA
    Last summer I got 2 Welsummer girls - so sweet! One of them started laying at about a month ago. She laid a large egg for her first one and there was a little blood on it, but she did great!

My second one, Lucy, waited until she was 11 months and 2 days old to lay her first - 3 days ago. It was only SLIGHTLY smaller than THIS one!
    Today she laid her second egg and it was just too big not to share. I can't believe she's laying EXTRA large eggs right off the bat! (Poor girl!) I guess her dye system hasn't figured itself out? Her first was only about half splattered with blobs of dark brown. But I can't believe how big this egg is! I guess it was worth the wait for her to start laying!

[​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Songster

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Wow! Pretty impressive, no little pullet eggs for her!

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Wowee! Good for her [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Gorgeous egg! Bet it's got 2 yolks!

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Songster

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Oh how b e a u t i f u l [​IMG] I just got 4 wellie chick this morning ... who long do I have to wait???

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  6. cochinfan

cochinfan In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I lost my Welsummer hen awhile ago. She was one of my absolute favorite hens and such beautiful eggs. RIP Fancy Feathers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: