Welsummer or Bantam Cochins?? Opinions Wanted!

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
So I'm looking to add one or two pullets to my flock of 8 LF before my girls become full grown. They are docile from what I can tell, there aren't many squabbles, so I don't anticipate having problems integrating them. Right now my choice is between 1 Welsummer pullet who is 7 months old but hasn't begun laying, or 1-2 blue bantam cochins who are already laying.

I don't know a lot about either breed...but kind of wanted to add a bantam to the group just because they are so dang cute. I am a tad bit worried about the bantam(s) possibly getting picked on...but I'm hoping that them being full size will lessen the size difference between my girls and the newbies...because I feel like mine are still pretty small and light (they are 15 weeks old). However, I LOVE the look of Welsummer eggs and have read that they can be pretty docile and friendly.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Thanks!

well if u wanted to get bantams u should have added them when they were chicks the large fowl chickens will pick on them and step on them i would pick the welsummer if i was u

I almost never have trouble integrating bantam or LF at any age. Just go slow.

If it's a Wellie from good lines, you'll be very happy with the dark eggs. I don't think they are nearly as laid back as the bantam cochins though. My wellies have been quite active. My bantam cochins are like putty in my hands.

Cochins will go broody a lot, which is good or bad. You'll get more usable eggs from the Wellie.

Why do you have to choose? I would choose both!

Why do you have to choose? I would choose both!

Haha because they are $25 each! That and the capacity of our coop is 12 and I wanted to stay below that...maybe
tongue.png
. I kind of want to have a broody hatch out some eggs in spring so I wanted to keep that in mind. I don't know if broody is a problem or not actually. If it's the bantams...we'll already be getting eggs from 8 other chickens so I don't know if it matters unless they cause the other girls to have to lay somewhere else outside of the boxes. We're going to have 3 nest boxes unless 4 will fit in the space...is that enough for 8-10 chickens if one or two go broody?

I am kind of tempted to go with 1 Welsummer and 1 bantam cochin though...hmmmm...unless the bantam will get picked on while in QT
sad.png

Last edited:
Individuals vary. I have bantam Polish and tiny Seramas out and about with my Giant Light Sussex and other large breeds.

Bantams are only like 1/4 a chicken, so if you get all three, you've reallly only added 1.5! (don't listen to me. I'm a notorious enabler)

I'd go for one of each. I love my hodge podge flock.

Yeah that's what I'm kind of thinking. I've got 8 of 8 different breeds right now and I LOVE it! I guess it depends on whether the bantams and the welsummers lived together (the same person is selling them). I guess we'll have to see!

Back
Top Bottom