Welsummer or Bielefelder?

renk777

Songster
6 Years
Apr 28, 2017
East Coast, NJ
Posted elsewhere but it's an older thread so trying here as well. I was looking for Bielefelders earlier this year and was recommended a farm that sells only Bieles and Ameraucana. Pens are separate. The woman that owns the farm and I talked for hours on the phone about chickens and life and everything in between. When I arrived at the farm, I walked around the biele pens and they were beautiful birds. The roos looked just like the roos I'd had in the past (I've never had a biele pullet/hen)...and the hens looked just as they do in photos. Then she showed me a new group of bieles she'd purchased this year. From our conversation the prevous day, I believe she had originally looked into Omega but didn't want to ship. No clue who she got the new girls from. I'm not looking to show...just wanted nice birds that lay...so I didn't ask. The new group was darker and didnt have the crele pattern. Since quarantine was already in effect and my kids were with me, I didn't question the difference in plumage. I knew they were young and chalked it up to them not having molted into their final coloration yet. I have had other breeds and I know that the plumage can change with maturity. We picked out our 2 chicks and went home. They're now around 3 months old. And they just don't look like Bielefelders to me. I've never had Welsummers but I've seen photos of welsummers and I can't help but think that's what I have. They're beautiful birds....just not what I wanted :( Can anyone tell me what my 2 pullets are?

Attachments

• 20200601_175902.jpg
    20200601_175902.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 20200601_175912.jpg
    20200601_175912.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200601_175550.jpg
    20200601_175550.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200601_175540.jpg
    20200601_175540.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 57
I’m no expert here but they look just like some Americaunas I got this spring and one I’ve had for a few years!

Attachments

• 5CCD676F-8E3C-4192-908D-F86DA4E8FD85.jpeg
    5CCD676F-8E3C-4192-908D-F86DA4E8FD85.jpeg
    714.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 991952D0-4E2C-4295-B042-4D9C5B1C9F77.jpeg
    991952D0-4E2C-4295-B042-4D9C5B1C9F77.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 46
I’m no expert here but they look just like some Americaunas I got this spring and one I’ve had for a few years!
We have a couple Americaunas as well that look similar...both got the single comb gene...but I can easily tell them apart from these girls. These girls scream Welsummer no matter which angle I view them from

Last edited:
X4 Welsummers. Good news is they are a good breed and you should get some nice looking speckled eggs from them. The other good news is they are both pullets. Here’s a pic of my 16 week old Welsummers and my Welsummer cockerel for comparison.
View attachment 2172844
They are a beautiful breed...just weren't on my radar. We're taking a new approach to replacing birds. Unless they're EEs, we're only getting purebreds.... no first gen crazy-laying-vigor hybrids. And we're staggering when we replace.. only 2 or 3 a year...so that we can switch from the 2year plan to a 4 or 5 year plan. We purchased 1 brahma, 2 bieles, and a handful of EEs this year to be the 2020/2021 replacements. And as luck would have it, all EEs are pullets hahaha So we already have more new birds than planned...so I can't just add a Bielefelder or 2. I'm sad that I have these 2 sweet, beautiful birds and my appreciation is clouded because they aren't what I searched for for so long. Ugh.

They are a beautiful breed...just weren't on my radar. We're taking a new approach to replacing birds. Unless they're EEs, we're only getting purebreds.... no first gen crazy-laying-vigor hybrids. And we're staggering when we replace.. only 2 or 3 a year...so that we can switch from the 2year plan to a 4 or 5 year plan. We purchased 1 brahma, 2 bieles, and a handful of EEs this year to be the 2020/2021 replacements. And as luck would have it, all EEs are pullets hahaha So we already have more new birds than planned...so I can't just add a Bielefelder or 2. I'm sad that I have these 2 sweet, beautiful birds and my appreciation is clouded because they aren't what I searched for for so long. Ugh.
Your Welsummers are beautiful! I just ordered some Bielefelders from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They were quite unexpectedly available, so I jumped on the opportunity. I could not find any anywhere! They are currently offering free shipping on chicks with orders over 15, and a small fee for smaller orders. The ones they have right now, ship out July 6th. I just ordered from them, so I have no experience on how they are yet, but I am excited to get some Bielefelders! Good luck!:)

Your Welsummers are beautiful! I just ordered some Bielefelders from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They were quite unexpectedly available, so I jumped on the opportunity. I could not find any anywhere! They are currently offering free shipping on chicks with orders over 15, and a small fee for smaller orders. The ones they have right now, ship out July 6th. I just ordered from them, so I have no experience on how they are yet, but I am excited to get some Bielefelders! Good luck!:)
I am so happy for you! I was bummed about the bieles but I do love my girls..whatever they are. Seller said whenever I'm ready, she'll have 2 bieles for me so I am at peace about it. One day, I'll have my bieles! But for now, you'll just have to post pics of yours ❤❤❤

Back
Top Bottom