Welsummer or Light Brown Leghorn Pullets?

JennCrow10

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 6, 2016
East Texas
So I have come to realize that my order from Meyer Hatchery for Speckled Sussex chicks was messed up in September and I now have either Welsummer pullets or Light Brown Leghorns. Can anyone tell me which ones I have or will I have to wait until they start laying to really know?

What a rotten deal - they can't even get orders straight. By the time you realize they are the wrong breeds you have already gotten attached to them, raised them, fed, them etc. etc.

Pretty Welsummers. :) Like @Egghead_Jr said, a Leghorn would have white earlobes. :)
What a rotten deal - they can't even get orders straight.  By the time you realize they are the wrong breeds you have already gotten attached to them, raised them, fed, them etc. etc.

I agree. Seriously MM, you messed up Speckled Sussexs and Welsummers on an order?! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well I'm thinking you lucky dog....you got Welsummers....and yes, you definitely have Welsummers...not only red earlobes but also salmon chest of Wellie rather than gold brown chests of Leghorn.

I really liked my Welsummers (I need to get some more now that I think about it). Good layers of nice big darker brown eggs.

If MM has half a decent line, they should lay some nice darker brown eggs or brown with fun dark brown splotches....and yes...you've got pullets as the coloring tells you as well.

Shame on MM for messing it up, but SS and Wellies look very similar as chicks...you gotta watch those shank colors to tell the difference....and then the shanks can change as they grow. (SS is beige while Wellie is yellow shank).

And sorry, but I personally think you got a better deal with the Wellies than the SS.
hide.gif

LofMc

Last edited:
I agree they're quite similar as chicks.

But I'd also rather have Welsummers. Yeah, the Sussex are more eye candy, but mine were big eaters and meh layers of medium eggs. My Welsummer hens forage well, don't eat a ton for their size, and were great layers of dark terra cotta or speckled eggs.

x 2 Donrae...that's what I've heard as well.

My Wellies laid well that terra cotta clay pot egg...and lots of them. Loss one to predator and another to illness after brooding too much.

But here are their eggs:

The Wellie is the really big egg in the middle. The really dark ones (doesn't show up as well on photo) are BCM.

Sorry to hear about your order mix up, but Agree with others, you will have a better laying machine.. Wanted to relay another "order mix up" that I thought you might find "FUNNY" -- it's "finally beginning to be funny down here in S/E Texas."

22-23 weeks ago I ordered 3 Australorp (hens) -- 3 Barred Plymouth Rock (hens) -- and 10 straight run Delaware // at 3 or 4 weeks I sent pics to supplier asking if maybe a "Silkie" got batched in by mistake // reply was possible as one looked like such. At 5 or 6 weeks I sent 15 photos asking what I had as it looked nothing like my order. Wait, forgot -- on my first communication along with the question of Silkie, I said of the 24 birds you sent//22 now because 2 had died. Now I only ordered 16 birds. The reply was "We only sent 16" --. naturally I said "I'm pretty good with math and I counted 24 -- 6 Dk brown/blackish -- 6 brown --12 yellow chicks -- 1 black and 1 yellow perished day 1&2." Reply was " Can you send us some really good photos when they get to be 12-15 weeks." To summarize, today--moments ago I had 22 still // butchered 1 rooster this morning. My final tally is ; (HENS) 4 Australorp -- 1 Barred Plymouth Rock -- 2 Light Brown Leghorn -- 2 Welsummer -- 2 Road Island Red -- 1 Light Brahma Buff ( beautiful by the way) -- 3 Delaware --15 hens // (Roosters) 4 Delaware (huge birds) -- 2 Salmon Favoralle ( huge birds also) and 1 Light brown Silkie unknown gender. I did send additional pic's at another time and they still were not able to properly identify all birds -- maybe my picture taking isn't the best. Please don't think I'm complaining, beyond a certain point at least, I mean really, I ordered 16 and got 24, fed and raised 22 will ultimately have 15 or 16 hens // depending on sex of Silkie // and keep 2 roosters // both Salmon Favoralles. Downside I/was I needed more protected room as they grew, and also now. Had to completely redo my original roosting shed -- and yes, I could have just killed the xtra's.

Wrapping up -- I try to always pic up a glass that's half full. Was really disappointed at first, but now every day I love watching the "girls" & "guys" talk & scratch and now at 23ish weeks, discovering an egg every so often. I do believe you will enjoy your Welsummer ladies.

Not going to spill the beans on who I ordered from--they have been good and really tried hard to help. PLUS, I don't have a clue how hard it is to not only identify , but much less sex out a day old chicken. What I said to the guy I was e-mailing was; I thought their "man"--could have been a woman -- so lets say their "person" working that fateful shift was: either drinking something other that cola // smoking something other than cigarettes // or // had "company" when they should have been working. He just laughed and said he would probably never know. I just agreed and NOW laugh a bit.

Just wanted to share a good story about "really mixed up orders" -- best to you and GOD Bless!

Back
Top Bottom