Welsummer or Sussex chicks???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jul 24, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The bin at the feed store was labeled both Welsummers and Sussex. The only problem is I can't tell them apart! I have attached pics. I got six and would like to know if I got both kinds or only one kind... Are there any tips or tricks in telling the difference? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I am guessing Welsummers. My sussexes had elongated dark triangles on their heads that didn't continue down their backs. [​IMG] Look for that.

Here's a photo. The two Sussexes are on the right and the Welsummer is on the left.
    [​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    LOL @ Deb... you must be following me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

That was really the only thing I could tell the difference, some have more "tan" bellies and some are more white-ish. [​IMG]

The only problem is that I am giving half to a friend and I want to keep a couple of each... LOL.

5. Orpimom

Orpimom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    NOT AN EXPERT!!!...but... you look to have at least one Welsummer in there.Second pic,middle baby on bottm row. The Wellie babies I had all had real light stripes with the chipmunking whereas the others just had the chipmunking stripes. Like the one closest to the waterer.

6. perchie.girl

Quote:LOL Not Im Not Im not.... [​IMG] There are three breeds of chickens I am interested in ..... Welsumers, Amauracanas (true blue egg layers), And Sumatras.... I missed the deadline to get my Welsumers and Amauracanas from Whitmore farms.... then I got invovled with a BOATLOAD of Guineas .... so i decided to focus on them... But i keep my eye out for them just to see who has what.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well you know I breed Ameraucanas right? No? Well you do now! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. perchie.girl

Quote:Bwhahahah..... I definitely need to help you build a cage....

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    LOL!

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Back corner, center front and far right in your 2nd picture look like your wellies. The other 3 look like your sussex.

As they get older, it will be easier to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by