Welsummer Pair: Pullet/Pullet or Pullet/Roo?

Helymo

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
NKY
I know it is still too early but guesses can be fun, right? These are our two Welsummers from the same hatchery. They were in our assortment of 10 pullets with the standard 90% pullet rate. We figured we would end up with one roo in the bunch, hoped not for more than that, but wouldn't be terribly disappointed if we got 0. If any end up being a roo, I think a Welsummer roo would be like hitting the jackpot, though🤣 Anyway, here they are side by side just over 2 weeks old. Their wings are so different, and the one on the left definitely has more of an eyeliner look. I don't have a good pic of their heads side by side but the one on the left has a V that is jagged while the one on the right is a distinct, almost perfect V-which I think if my memory serves me right would actually contradict the eyes and wings 🤷‍♀️

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 9.32.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 9.32.15 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Wayy to early. But if I had to guess, I would say 2 pullets.

Come back in a couple of weeks with better pictures of their feathers and combs.

The autosexing traits of Welsummer are all but gone, and certainly from hatchery stock. A few lines are still pretty clear but it must be worked on each generation. Watch the chest feathers starting to come in at 4-6 weeks.
This is good to know! Thank you :) We will wait out those chest feathers!

Almost 12 weeks now and I was thoroughly convinced they were both pullets until the last few days. Both have copper chest feathers and truly they look identical except that one now has a much more red and pronounced comb and has wattles showing up. Not close enough to laying time for that change I would think, but again first time chicken owner here. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 85D16F5D-0F8B-46D8-880E-01F2D6687773.jpeg
    85D16F5D-0F8B-46D8-880E-01F2D6687773.jpeg
    807.3 KB · Views: 21
  • F0FA7427-014A-4A24-8753-B7AC2D00EEA3.jpeg
    F0FA7427-014A-4A24-8753-B7AC2D00EEA3.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 21
Almost 12 weeks now and I was thoroughly convinced they were both pullets until the last few days. Both have copper chest feathers and truly they look identical except that one now has a much more red and pronounced comb and has wattles showing up. Not close enough to laying time for that change I would think, but again first time chicken owner here. Thoughts?
The one on the left is a cockerel. The other is a pullet

Both are pullets.

Those are both pullets. Welsummers have gender specific coloring, so it's definite.

Back
Top Bottom