Welsummer progression pics - gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fshinggrl, May 17, 2011.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I hatched out 3 wellsummer chicks and 1 EE on my son's birthday, 4/23. I *thought* I had 2 pullets and a cockerel, but you guys quickly changed my mind in that I either had 3 cockerels or a 2/1 ratio of cockerels over pullets. So, here is the picture of them as day olds that I shared earlier...
    [​IMG]
    They're 3.5 weeks old today, so here is a new picture of the three welsummers. As you can tell, I have one that isn't growing much. I assume you all are going to tell me I have 3 cockerels (just checking).
    [​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Nope 2 cockerels and 1 pullet! Just my oppinion [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I agree. I don't know which ones chicks are which in the older picture but I woould have guessed #1 and #3 in your baby pic would be the cockerels and #2 a pullet. Are #1 and #3 the two big boys on the right?

4. LarissaCluck

LarissaCluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:x2

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I thought Welsummers could be sexed by breast feathers when those came in? Black = male, rose = female.

The picture doesn't show any of them straight-on but the largest one appears to have a rose breast. I know my 3 Wellie girls got big VERY fast compared to the other breeds and one is positively huge but she has not a hint of black in the chest so I'm thinking she's just a big girl.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    One pullet? You are mean if you are giving me false hope!!! [​IMG] I do not know which are which in regards to matching them up with their 1 day old photo. I guess time will tell. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by