Welsummer Question...

dirtsaver

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Kentucky
For you Welsummer people out there...is it unusual for a Welsummer to still not be laying at 9-10 months old? I have one that's been laying for a month or better and one that show no sign at all of being close.

Thanks!
Larry

Yep! Patience is a virtue with this breed! Once they start laying, look out!
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks! Our Welsummer that is laying is very dependable,maybe as good as our Australorps and that's saying a lot. And her speckled eggs are as big as the Aussies too.

Thanks again!
Larry

I feel your pain. Am glad I am not the only one who has to wait patiently. My Welsummer is 26 weeks old and I am still waiting. Her comb and wattles are red and she is in and out of the coop investigating the nest boxes. She also sings the egg song when the other gals are in the boxes.

Hope you get you get your egg soon.

Hang in there Chris! Our Welsummers are roughly 40 weeks old and the one just started laying 3 or 4 weeks ago. I will say that once you start seeing those dark speckled eggs it's great!

Larry

My Welsummer was also a late bloomer, but once she started laying was very consistent. She goes through a heavy molt in the winter (the first year I thought she was sick and dying she looked so bad) stops laying, but starts up again with consistency. She is on her third laying season and her eggs are so big this year! Yeah!
smile.png

I just got a welsummer peep! I tried to get one from the local farm that I got all my other babys from but the lady told me that they were lousy layers and all that is said about them is hype! She doesnt want to order them. SOOooo I got one at the local IFA feed store. Showed her huh?

Quote:
Lousy layers??? Wonder what she's been smokin'? As much as we love our Buff Orpingtons the Welsummer lays circles around them! As I said in an above post, she lays right up there with our Australorps most of the time.

Larry

I have 11 hens...some started around 7 months, others around 8.. I still have one who is not laying and they are 9 months old now....but once they start you can count on almost an egg a day from each one you have. Mine are such friendly little ladies too. From what I heard they don't go broody as often as other chickens do.. maybe that is what was confusing the feed store lady... but who needs a broody chicken if all you want is yummy eggs anyways!!! I am going to try and hatch some of my larger and browner eggs out in a few weeks in an incubator.
smile.png

Quote:
Lousy layers??? Wonder what she's been smokin'? As much as we love our Buff Orpingtons the Welsummer lays circles around them! As I said in an above post, she lays right up there with our Australorps most of the time.

Larry

Yes, my Wellies were consisent layers too!

Back
Top Bottom