Welsummer Question!

We do TRY to conform to the UK standards but the US standards is pretty much what we are aiming for. Sure they would be subject to changes if one breeder wants to keep it "UK standard" instead of US standard.

If anything is doubtful, it should be clear or light horn in color but never black or grey in color. If you can, look at the beak of the Welsummer, that should be an indication what other "nail" or cuticule color should be. Some would have some light trace of stripe going down on the nail bed surface, which it probably due to genetics or the structure of the nail claw should be.

If your bird has a yellow/horn color beak and his claws are black or gray, something is going on in his genetics. Would it be a disqualification? Maybe. If it was me, judging the bird, I want to see balance of beak color and claws, nothing abstract between the two.

i can honestly say i have never paid attention to the color of the toenail/claw. and welsummers are one of my favorite breeds - - i have a few of them. hmm. tomorrow morning, i'm going to check out the nails.

Back
Top Bottom