Welsummer sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seedizzle, Mar 6, 2015.

1. seedizzle

seedizzle Hatching

Mar 6, 2015
    I bought 4 Welsummer chicks (straight run). From what I have learned, they can possibly be auto sexed. I want at least one roo however from what I'm seeing online, they appear to be pullets. Can the females look like males and vice versa?

2. gogetter

gogetter Chirping

Jul 7, 2014
    Golden, Colorado
    My understanding is that some lines of welsummers are easier to sex than others. Do they all look identical?

3. seedizzle

seedizzle Hatching

Mar 6, 2015
    Yeah for the most part. One has sort of a chipmunk face.

4. gogetter

gogetter Chirping

Jul 7, 2014
    Golden, Colorado
    Can you take pictures?

5. seedizzle

seedizzle Hatching

Mar 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. seedizzle

seedizzle Hatching

Mar 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. gogetter

gogetter Chirping

Jul 7, 2014
    Golden, Colorado
    I assume the buff chicks are a different breed? If the 4 welsummers are the 4 chipmunks, then I would agree you probably got 4 pullets.

8. dheltzel

dheltzel Crowing

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Those pics are not nearly close enough to sex accurately. With my strain I can pick out some males and females with certainty, but some are not so easy and I let those grow out for a month until the roos larger combs are evident.

For a good description of how to sex welsummers, with pics, go to http://www.whitmorefarm.com/welsummer

Where are you located? If you are close to me, I'll give you some male Welsummer chicks.

9. seedizzle

seedizzle Hatching

Mar 6, 2015
    Im in WV. I got the chicks at TSC. Got the 4 Welsummers thinking I would no doubt get at least one roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: