welsummer size?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by steward, Sep 11, 2009.

1. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Just wondering, my welsummer pullets are 17 weeks now and my barred rock pullets are 4and a half weeks younger, they are nearly the same size. These are my first wellies, and they seem small. Are they slow growing? I looked at the expected size and they don't look like they will reach it. I have had EEs,BAs,production reds,and SLWs.Also have some new white leghorns. As long as they, lay size really won't matter. Thanks!

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They won't be as big as say- Australorps- but they'll lay beautiful dark eggs. I'm just starting out with some too. Can't wait until they fill out and start laying!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    In my case, they bloom slow but they will get there. However they will not be big as Barred Rocks.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    they won't be quite as big a bird as a Barred Rock as long as you're comparing apples to apples. In other words, don't compare a hatchery/production/utility/pet-quality bird with a breeder's bird. Many folks are amazed when they see a true SQ bird compared to the other.

Also, keep in mind that you are looking at two different feather configurations. The Welsummers feathering will lay much closer to the bird that does a Barred Rock.

God Bless,

5. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I have a little Wellie pullet that I hatched out 5 months ago, man o man was she ever small....... I had 8 other pullets from the same hatch that were monsters compared to her. When she was 3.5 months old she was still smaller than my some of my 10 week old Marans. Recently, she has moved into the big house where she is now nearly the size of her sisters. All of a sudden, right under my nose she caught up in size. She has also been squatting now for a week and none of her sisters are....maybe the underdog will be the first to lay. [​IMG]

6. steward

steward Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Thanks everybody who answered! I would like to get some breeder quality birds sometime but thought I would wait till I'm sure what I want. I really like the idea of aracaunas too, but that is another whole ball of wax. Thanks again.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Welsies are really skinny until about a week before the start laying. They'll fill out soon.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Humm, I never would have called my welsummers skinny and I feel mine are at least as big as a barred rock [​IMG] . Maybe not quite as round, I don't know, I have gotten rid of all my barred rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by