Welsummers don't have feathered legs right? Another question on pg 2

Nope, one of my two that I kept still has them and they are 30 weeks old; the stubs are very tiny and unless you look close, you dont see them. These were from a breeder of Welsummers, and they are the only standard breed on the property, if I'm not mistaken. It's the same as a Wyandotte occasionally popping up with a single comb due to their ancestry.

Well then what about Cuckoo Marans? I bought *purebred* Cuckoo Maran eggs and they also have feathers on their legs. Not a whole bunch, just a few. The eggs weren't advertised as French Cuckoo Marans. Where in the world are all of these feathered legs coming from. I purposely don't have feather legged chickens because of the rain and mud here. I wouldn't have bought these hatching eggs if I would have known they were going to have feathers.
idunno.gif

Subject: Re: Clean legged or feather legged? Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:58 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all I have the Kelly Cratty line feather leg Cuckoo Marans. They breed 98% feather leg with about 2% or so not feather legged. The APA has stated that they will not approve the clean legged variety's. This was in the last month when the Marans Chicken CLub which I belong to did a presentation to the Apa and gave them some of the standards we had so far. We should have a qualifying meet for wheaton by fall 09. I am currently selling hatching eggs for the Feather leg Cuckoos. And they are going good and strong. We might have black coppers should also get a qualifying meet hopefully by fall 09. As long as we get enough in the last shows of the season this year. For me I love the feather legged birds. As that is what the french standard calls for. And that is what the apa said they would approve only. SO I will continue to breed the Kelly cratty birds which soon will be the harrover strain of Kelly cratty lines. When I got them they were about 50/50 with leg feathering and now I have greatly improved on that in the last few years

This came from a thread on Marans of America site.
http://www.maransofamerica.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I must say something. These are my eggs she is talking about and I want to set the record straight. I have been breeding and raising chickens for many years. This is what I do for a living. All of my breeds are PUREBRED. I do not have one mixed breed chicken on my farm. They are all kept in seperate coops, fed the best feed, healthy, and well cared for. My Welsummers came from a man who has bred them for years, he was a poultry judge, and has excellent stock as do I. As stated above sometimes you will get a chick with hair on the legs, this is not feather legged. It just hair and happens sometime. My Marans are also excellent stock, they are clean legged, but sometimes you may get a throwback to feathered ones. I have hatched out thousands of chicks and have yet to have this happen, but it could, it is not a fault, many people prefer the feather legged ones. AS stated I do this for a living and it hurts me and my good name to have emails send to people about poor quality/mixed chickens. This is just not true. I sell thousand and thousand of chicks, and hatching eggs in off season. I have many, many repeat customers and waiting list for my chicks. My good name means everthing to me and if there is a problem I will go out of my way to resolve it. Thank you.

Quote:
I just wanted to mention something in defense of poultrylady as well......I have received many dozens of eggs from poultrylady and some are in the bator now.......She has been nothing but kind, courteous, and professional.........They were packed SUPERBLY, and made it across the country unbroken. It is obvious she took great pride and care with my package and I appreciate her doing that.......Thanks poultrylady!
thumbsup.gif

I want to clarify that I myself was not speaking about poultrylady. What poultrylady says above is what a poultry judge told another breeder of Welsummers and it was passed on to me by the breeder of my own girls, so you dont have to worry about them being mixed. Mine are fine examples of the breed and lay a good quality color egg for the Welsummer breed, one girl in particular lays a very dark egg.

Thank you Johnmayersquare for the kind words. I appreciate you and thank you for the purchases.

As far as Welsummers being loud I have really not found that to be the case. They don't seem any louder than any other hen. I really like this breed, mine are friendly and seem happy to see me every morning, and they are a beautiful breed.

Back
Top Bottom