Welsummers

Females generally have the darker, more distinct eyeliner. I've heard the best time to determine sex is a day or two after hatch. I bought 20 from a co-op that were advertised as pullets, and 100% of them were (to my surprise because 2 didn't have the dark eyeliner). So they can be sexed at birth. If you provide pictures make sure to show the chest.

you can tell the gender of a welsummer at hatch and also as their breast feathers come in. I can't explain how because I might have it backwards but at hatch you can tell by the color pattern of their chick fur near the eye, one gender has a clearer stripe the other is a bit messier. I am sure someone who has it all memorized will describe it better than that. As they develop their breast feathers the females will have a reddish salmon type color breast feather, the males I believe have dark brown or black.
I am not sure if at 5 weeks old if they have breast feathers yet, pictures help a lot.

Females generally have the darker, more distinct eyeliner. I've heard the best time to determine sex is a day or two after hatch. I bought 20 from a co-op that were advertised as pullets, and 100% of them were (to my surprise because 2 didn't have the dark eyeliner). So they can be sexed at birth. If you provide pictures make sure to show the chest.

btw, the two that didn't look female to me (but were) are different than the others. They have a partridge chest rather than the uniform salmon-colored chest that most Welsummer hens have. Maybe they're partridge Welsummers.

What does the chest look like? Any black?
What does the chest look like? Any black?
My beautiful welsummer pullet!
IMG_20190720_164733825.jpg
IMG_20190720_164755089.jpg
IMG_20190720_164745071.jpg

Back
Top Bottom