Welsummers

Daniarmstead

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2023
My two Welsummers. 13 weeks. Trying to understand gender identification. Am I looking at the difference between a roo and hens tail or not?

Attachments

• 290676CA-BF87-44A9-81D3-5E56C25F7F74.jpeg
    290676CA-BF87-44A9-81D3-5E56C25F7F74.jpeg
    888 KB · Views: 67
  • FB20E9E9-7D2C-4090-BE5C-24064A509A5B.jpeg
    FB20E9E9-7D2C-4090-BE5C-24064A509A5B.jpeg
    835.4 KB · Views: 23
Hello, I'm thinking of switching breeds from Bielefelder to Welsummer birds. The Bielefelders really struggle through the San Antonio summers. I hear Welsummers are better at tolerating extreme summers, such as San Antonio offers. Any suggestions or input?

Hello, I'm thinking of switching breeds from Bielefelder to Welsummer birds. The Bielefelders really struggle through the San Antonio summers. I hear Welsummers are better at tolerating extreme summers, such as San Antonio offers. Any suggestions or input?
My Welsummer made it through a pretty hot and humid summer last year, we had a week or so with highs in the 100s. At that time, I went to extra steps to keep her cool, lots of ice water and a fan, plus frozen peas and melon. She was fairly miserable and panted constantly. My Marans had an even worse time. My Dominique was the only one who didn’t struggle much. I wouldn’t consider Welsummers to be very heat tolerant from my experience, but I’ve only had the one.

Also, it should be noted that I believe my Welsummer had heart issues, and she died suddenly this March at 9 months old, so she may not have been a great representation of the breed’s health and resilience. I realize this makes my experience less helpful, but I didn’t want your question to go unanswered.

Have you looked through the reviews on Welsummers? I found it helpful when I decided to add one to my flock, and there are some reviews that mention their heat tolerance I believe. I personally loved my Welsummer and am getting another in June.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/welsummer.10858/

Back
Top Bottom