Went to a rabbit show today

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
And MAN OH MAN did I learn alot!!!! I got to spend some time with a few ARBA judges and go through the standard of perfection book with them and they told me all about what to expect when I enter my french angora in August. They were very nice, friendly and helpful people. Everyone there showing was friendly as well. I FINALLY got to meet a local french angora breeder that is pretty well known out here, and it turned out that he wanted to meet ME because of the rabbits I recently purchased.

He said that he HAD to meet me because "I got some really great show stock". I knew they were grand champions, but I did NOT know that someone like him already had my name attached to them!!!
wee.gif
He lives fairly close to us and has offered to come over and go over proper grooming, nail trimming, show points, etc.

And!!!! He taught me how to hand spin my wool!!!! It is really super easy to do. I bought the tool and he sent me home with a big bag of wool to practice with. I could manage a fairly even strand after just two minutes with the tool.

I decided that Rex's, mini-rex and dutch are not for me. However, I really loved the mini holland lops and the netherland dwarfs. Super cute bunnies!!!! Giant Flemish are HUMONGOUS! Robo Rabbits.

Excellent - I've got a sister in NC who sells spinning/weaving things - she spins with a charkha, an Indian portable spinning tool. And she used to raise angora rabbits and spin their wool. She now only spins cottons, and sometimes alpaca. You can check out her website if you want, at charkha.biz . Hey, I have a question for you, since you have rabbits and I'm just thinking of getting some - what is a good cage size, for a medium to large rabbit? I plan to keep 5 rabbits in an outdoor hutch, 5 cages. I was thinking 24X30X18 high - is this big enough? I don't plan to keep them free in the house, that's too much with cats, dogs, etc. Thank you if you'll answer me!

Quote:
Depending on the breed you may need a higher cage. They also still need daily exercise, so even a large cage won't fix that. Once you see how they act running around, you will WANT to let them out - they are too stinkin funny!!!

Quote:
24"x24" is a standard rabbit cage size for most breeds. The giant breeds will need something larger. 18" high is plenty.

Back
Top Bottom