Went to the shelter and am REALLY sad and need to vent!!

Quote:
If there is any way you could work with your shelter to implement some sort of counseling service for people who are having problems with their pets and are thinking of surrendering them, that might help. As you have seen, many of the dogs in shelters are not unwanted baby puppies, but older puppies and adults that had a home, but aren't wanted anymore. A lot of people don't have a clue how to train their pets and work on problem behaviors. I read about one such program somewhere and I can't remember where it was now, but they successfully reduced their shelter population just by counseling owners and helping them keep their pets rather than just getting rid of them. Many of those people who surrender their dogs will turn around and get a new puppy thinking that this one will be better, when what they really needed to do is train the first one.

Also, in a small way you can help by encouraging people to research before they get a new pet. Don't just get the first cute puppy they fall for. Even if they are looking at mixed breeds, the predominate breeds in the mix can help clue them in on a dog's personality and physical traits and potential problems. Every breed is not right for every person. Getting the wrong breed to start with can spell disaster. For example, if you're a neat-freak, don't get a heavy shedder. If you have kids, don't get a breed that is known not to be particularly good with children. If you can't stand barking don't get a breed known for it. That sort of thing. Any little bit helps.

Wow, Holly, you said many of things I was going to say! I think that behavior counseling and encouraging people to do research before getting a pet would be much more effective than spay/neuter programs as most pets are relinquished becuase of behavior issues etc, not overpopulation. If you spay and neuter all of the pets...you create a pet shortage which would be a BIG problem!
I also agree that adoption agencies should not be so strict in their adoption policies-the more hoops one has to jump through to adopt a pet, the less likely they will to adopt.

Quote:
I had a friend that worked for feral cat rescue in LA. She said the city doesn't spend any $ on rodent control, so the catch/ neuter /release program is actually a good thing for the city. Not that the gov really invested in it...
Sure beats putting them down, because feral cats don't ever make good pets. Abandoned cats that are surviving in the great ourdoors are different from feral cats that have never been close to humans.

Quote:
sounds lik my aunt she cant say no to a abandond animal and some of their storys are sad one dog who wus put in a dumpster (with the garbage truck a block away) because the owner didnt want him enymore

I also think education is the key to over population, but I also think we live in a “disposable” society where people think that if their new puppy or kitten doesn’t work out they have “options.” People need to understand that owing a pet is a life long commitment.

my first dog was a chronic runner. once he ran when i was 7 months pregnant with my first child. going in the animal shelter every day was heartbreaking. i did find him there after about a month. he was a rescue, and i decided like you that i wanted to make a difference. ..

so now 14 yrs later, i rescue dogs.... what can i say? mine rule my life, they are all rescues. one was 10-12 yrs old, deaf and thrown out on street when the owner died by her kids. she is a shiba and so sweet. 2 are pitties that needed a safe home, one had been "outlawed " in his on town by breed specific legislation and when his mom went into the army no one else was allowed to take him, the other used as a 'breeding machine'. the last one is a cute mutt who's conception was an "accident" (which had the parents been "fixed" would not have happened).
i have also rescued and rehomed many others. people are unbelievable... a saint bernard, "who realized she would get so big?" a saluki, "i didnt know she would run every time i opened the door", to a yorkie who never listened (try training).

sorry on the soapbox.......AGAIN.
mb

I recently adopted two cats from the shelter and was overwhelmed at the number of sweet cats and kittens that were there. We took a walk through the dog section, too, and noticed that about 80% were pit bull-types -- so, so sad! People either hate those dogs or use them for fighting. It IS sad, and the only solution is way more spaying and neutering and people taking a more serious attitude toward pet ownership.

I really wish that the cost to spay/neuter pets was not so expensive. In our area, the cost is approx. $90 - 125. If you are govt assistance, you can get it done for next to nothing.

I think that alot more people (at least in my neck of the woods) would have their pets spay/neuter if the cost was more reasonable.

$90 - $125 sounds pretty reasonable to me. The last dog I had spayed was around $250 for a ten pound dog. I just took one in for a routine checkup the other day and it was $114. And the only vaccination she had was Bordetella.

Last edited:
Pet Co. has low cost vaccinations once a month, also you can ask the vets in your area if you can set up a payment plan. My vet is great in that respect.

In defense of rescue. Our rescue group, APB Animal Placement Bureau, is probably one of the largest rescue groups in Michigan. We require an application, vet references, personal references, home visit and a lengthy contract if appilcant is approved. I adopted my first chihuahua from APB. I thought at the time it was rediculous what I had to do to adopt a dog from them. Now after fostering 69 unwanted, unloved, abused and thrown away dogs, I know why we do so much to assure that the dogs go to a forever home. We do not want them to end up thrown away or abused ever again. Us foster moms and dads put our heart and soul into rehabing these dogs. We love ever one we foster like they were our own. Even with our extensive process of finding just the right home, we still end up with a few that just don't work out or that the people disregard the contract that they signed when they adopted. If a dog is not good with children we will not adopt to a family with kids. Makes really good sence to me! If a dog needs on going medical treatment, we will not adopt to a family who is struggling with finances. Again, makes good sence to me. We have our reasons for saying NO to some people. There is a data base set up listing DNAs (do not adopt) some for simple reasons that may not make a difference to other rescue groups and some for such things as known to fight dogs. If a dog is a runner, yes, we are going to require a fenced yard. If people want to tie the dog outside to live it's life out, NO, they will not get one of our precious dogs. If the animals the family already own do not get regular vet treatment or are not spayed or neutered, No they will not get another from us. We are not into rescue just to put these poor throw aways into another bad situation. We want a loving forever home for our beloved rescues.

I could write a book on my fosters that would have even a cold hearted person in tears. God only knows how many tears I have shed over these abused, tortured, neglected throw aways.

Why anyone would ever steel a dog just to adopt it out for money is beyond me. Thousands are put to sleep every day in shelters. Why don't they just go to a shelter and get the dogs. People do steel dogs to sell to research and to dog fighter for bait dogs. Never put a for free add in the paper. These scum bags will tell you what a great home they will give your dog and turn around and sell to research and other scum bags who fight dogs.

If someone is looking for a new member for their family, look into rescue groups. We have taken care of all the medical needs, we have rehabbed dogs with bad behaviors, we know all the idiosyncrasies that will go home with that dog and we will always take the dog back if you decide it is just not the right dog for you. Once you adopt one of our dogs, we will then be able to rescue another.

As with everything else, there are some rescues that really don't care and just hope to make some money. It will be easy to get a dog from them if you have the money to hand over. Our rescue very seldom will come out ahead monitarily on a rescued dog. We survive by putting on fundraisers.

Gayle
Chi lady in Michigan

Back
Top Bottom