Went to TSC.....and.....

DixieChickie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
VA
I have new chicks. *sigh*

I went up there just to get a couple of rabbit waterer conversion kits (lets you use a 2 liter bottle) I had bought some chicken nipple waterers and used bottles.....nobody can get enough water. So I had picked up one of these 2liter to rabbit waterer kits, and the chicks are doing great with that one. So I ran up to get a couple more, for the other chick brooder.

I always stop at the tanks to see what's in, and there was some VERY overcrowded tanks, I was upset about it...then I saw chicks running around with blood all over them....frantically trying to get away from the other chicks who were pecking and pulling at the bloody spots. Just happened that the manager walks up and asks if I wanted 50 chicks, told her no but I definately wanted the three chicks who were bloodied. As we got those out, we looked over and there was a red sex link being trampled in another tank..she asked if I wanted it too. So they gave me all 4 chicks, I suggested they split up at least the one tank that was overcrowded with chicks at least a week old, into one of the spare tanks they had sitting there empty. Got the lil guys home, the red sex link died within an hour..the other 3 are white leghorns..they're sooo tired. Gave them food and water and a nice warm quiet spot to rest. I didn't even ask if they were straight run or not, I didn't care...it's the first time I've been upset by the way the chicks are cared for at our store.

hugs.gif
that's awful they didn't have enough sense to give them more space. But its awesome you rescued those poor bullied babies
thumbsup.gif

They were so full the only spot without chicks was where the waterer and feeder were placed...and then probably only cause they were domed so they slid off. And the heat lamp was set the same as for the 2 day old chicks; these are at least a week (probably more like 2 weeks) and they couldn't really get away to cooler areas..they were so hot, which didn't help. These guys are alert, but they haven't moved around much...I think they're just plumb tuckered out, they couldn't have gotten much sleep or anything with that many chicks to peck at them.

Now if I have a roo out of these 3, I wonder what would happen if I let in with my red sex links? would I have sex linked chicks?

No breeding a sexlink does not make a
sexlink you have to have parents of certain
breeds that then make the chicks sexlinked.
But even though they would not be sexlink
I am almost positive they would still be adorable
smile.png

Update...they're doing awesome...they haven't picked at each other,, and all scabs have come off. One of them I thought might not get any tail feathers again, because of how messed up the stump was....but there are tail feathers coming in! YAAAYYY..now if only they would all 3 be pullets. Though I'm not sure I would mind just one Rooster, for the ladies to go out in the yard with.T hey're moving outside this afternoon, since all the scabs are off. They grow much quicker than my red sex links did.

I stopped at a TSC first of the week. I slowly walked up to the tubs to see what they had left. What had me so surprised was the tubs were fenced so no kids can go up and pick the lil guys up. I don't know how many times in the past years I watch how the parents would let the kids man handle the chicks. Then put the chicks back in the wrong tub. Oh if only my coop was ready I would had bought some, they looked healthy.

I went in to my local TSC to just price some supplies so I can get an idea of what it's going to cost me to set up. Although the tubs weren't full there was one that had bantams, and larger ducklings mixed in. There were 2 dead chicks, a dead duckling and several who were not long for the world. I pointed it out to a friend who works there but I don't know what was done. I hope someone at least removed the dead ones. I was on my lunch break and had to hurry back to work.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom