We're Baaaack and at it again =)

helmstead

Songster
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Alfordsville, IN
It's been FOREVER since I was on BYC! I'm a regular over on BYH, but the chickens have had a backseat for a couple years.

This winter, we had a predatory raccoon. Jerk took out most of my hens before we managed to capture and kill him. I'm down to 7 hens...lost all of my favorite girls including my DD's BooBoo chicken and Raven, which we got years ago from Speckledhen. It was pretty devastating. He also killed a hen from our first ever hatch...

Anywho, DH was back in GA last weekend completing our move to Indiana (we've been storing 3/4ths of our 'stuff' in our house down there) and the wonderful FlightsOfFancy Farm sent a dozen hatching eggs home with him (since he FOUND our incubator and Sew-A-Bator down there!).

So, Wednesday morning - we put those eggs in the bator! We haven't hatched anything in probably 3 years, I've just been ordering pullets from MM to replenish our layers.

I have 7 Golden Comet eggs and 5 Crele Penedesenca crossed with Cree & Harlequin Ameraucanas
smile.png
Those will make olive eggers. I plan to let my daughter and son choose one each of the Crele crosses to name and call their own, since they were so devastated over the loss of BooBoo.

Kate! I'm so happy to see you back here! Been thinking about you and wondering how things are going. I'm so sorry about poor beautiful Raven. She was so lovely, wasn't she? We miss you being here!
hugs.gif
Did that raccoon get Azule, too? I just hate to hear that, but you've had Raven for years now, so she had a good life with you and Ben.

Oh, crap! I'm so sorry. She was a cutie-pie. I'm glad I could give her to you. I still have June! She's a great hen, lays humongous green eggs and I have one of her chicks in the brooder, fathered by my Delaware, Isaac.

Well, I forgot to update, but it looks like we had growth in all the eggs back at candling. The darn blue eggs were hard to candle! Sunday we move the eggs into the Sew-a-Bator hatcher/brooder, which we have to get up and running tonight
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom