We're doing the egg song all wrong

maryn7

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
NE Illinois
I have two girls, both a year old. The RIR never sings an egg song, just goes into her egg box and takes care of business (she's kind of a slow layer, so sometimes she chills out for an hour or two). The problem is her sister, a Barred Rock. While she rarely sings an egg song for herself - over the last month or so, she has taken to singing almost the entire time the RIR is in the egg box.

This can sometimes be solved by going out to talk to her or releasing her from the run to free range (we usually give them about half the day), but sometimes it's just straight screaming for an hour.

The BR in general is a bossy, protective girl. The RIR got attacked by a hawk in January (some lost feathers, followed by a molt), and had one day recently where she was a little egg bound and feeling crummy (we solved it with a calcium pill). On the latter occasion, I'd swear the BR was trying to tell me the RIR was feeling poorly. I came out because she was making such a fuss and saw that the RIR needed some attention. The BR will also stand guard while the RIR naps, etc. She's basically a rooster who lays eggs (except she never shares bugs or treats. Never.).

But her affection for the RIR seems to have translated into her letting EVERYONE KNOW THE RIR IS LAYING AN EGG every day. I've started looking forward to the days the RIR takes her day off so that we don't have to manage the other bird.

It just occurred to me that it could be a nest issue. We have two - the RIR has always used the one on the left. The BR used to use the one on the right, and now likes to use the left one, too. But that started much before this egg song thing. And they aren't on the same cycle, so I don't think it's ever been an issue of her needing to get in there. (And it's not even her box!)

Any ideas? She didn't used to do this. And I feel like I'm reinforcing the behavior by either giving her extra attention, food or letting her free range. But I also have started to grind my teeth when I hear the put-put-put-puts start from the run.

My BRs are screaming banshees that complain about everything. Doesn't matter which box someone is in, they want the that is occupied and they want it NOW!

They said get rocks, they're quiet...
Hahaha, I just read that same advice in some article about loud egg songs. 100% x3.

Meanwhile, my RIR, supposedly bossy birds, is the sweetest, quietest chicken in the world.

Just the two. Our third one passed away last Sept. (we'd like to have three again, but don't have room for four, so we're kind of stuck since we don't want to brood a solo chick or quarantine a solo pullet).

I'm sure the BR would like a friend to pass the time with, but it's not a new situation for her. This behavior is only about a month old.

My RIR always takes her time, when laying. Could care
less how many want the same box. My BR wants the
ENTIRE coop all to herself, before she'll shut up. Sometimes
I have to literally pick her up and throw her into the nest box,
before she'll shut up.
Glad to see so many people experiencing a similar level of BR intensity. (I mean, I guess!)

We tried putting her in the other egg box the other day, but no dice. This doesn't seem to be a lay time crossover thing. (And the BR doesn't seem very possessive of the box, weirdly.) The other day the BR laid about 2p, but we all (and I mean probably my entire neighborhood) got up at 5:45a when she told everyone about the RIR laying.

It's almost like she's got terrible instincts. Spends a hour yelling about how her friend is likely an easy target because she's laying an egg!

And I have to imagine the RIR is annoyed hearing someone yell 5 feet from her while she's trying to do her 'me' time.

I remember reading about Roosters announcing egg laying as well, maybe she's taking on the male role now?
Yeah, I feel like that's probably it.

Mixed with a little bit of "i am bored and resent being "trapped" in the run when I view the entire yard as my domain."

I just let her out after a bout of yelling and she's now just happily pecking away, totally silent. She is just so bossy.

Back
Top Bottom