We're finally ready for rainy Oregon winter. Are you? *pic heavy*

tedabug

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Pacific Northwest
My goodness, what a lot of work and I don't even want to know how much my fresh eggs cost, but the winterizing is done! We get a ton of rain in Oregon, so the run is lined with 5 inches of sand mixed with bark chips at the suggestion of BYC friends. They have a heated water dish, DE mixed with sand throughout coop and run with hay on top to 'cozy' together on. I lined the sides of the coop with plastic carpet runners for a wind break, rain protection and to help keep heat in at night when the heat lamp is on. (reptile bulb - only 50 watts, not going to burn the birds!). They now have a flood lamp throughout the side yard until 8pm as our daylight has shrunk immensely. The screen is out and window in for warmth. They have a covered dust bathing area with soil, sand, and DE. Trying to grow a little grass for greenery. I know they just eat it all! Makes the eggs taste good! I have a new and proper fence to keep them in, although we had to clip a few wings last night. The best part? Pavers so I can sneak out the dining room window and retrieve eggs in my slippers without getting sandy or poopy! Bring on the rains...*whew*
56181_dsc00690.jpg

56181_dsc00680.jpg

56181_dsc00676.jpg

56181_dsc00677.jpg

56181_dsc00687.jpg

56181_dsc00685.jpg

56181_dsc00691.jpg

56181_dsc00684.jpg

56181_dsc00683.jpg

56181_dsc00673.jpg

Last edited:
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. You ARE well prepared!

However, let me give you a head's up about those pavers you think will keep your slippers poop & sand free: Nah ah!! Chickens will poop on the pavers. Mine do.

So true! At least I can see the poop though. It's so hard to see on the ground. I got small pavers because when they are standing on them, their butts hang off the side. I've had one poop in two weeks on the paver itself. Not too bad. They prefer the wood block border, but I'm sure they will poop everything up nicely. They always do! ha ha

Looking great! I am glad you got your mud problems all worked out before the rainy season.

I would also like to point out to anyone not from Oregon that only the West 3rd of the state gets rain. Central (where I live) and Eastern Oregon is a high desert and very dry.

Wow. I'm so jealous!! And BEAUTIFUL chickens! Isn't that a pure ameraucana? Very prettttyyyy
Luckily I don't have to winterize my coop because I'm in Georgia!!!
woot.gif
oh wait scratch that.... I have to cover up two of the vents
sad.png
lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses! Sorry Bend, Oregon. You are much more dry that us for sure. Much more COLD too! Brrr. Now that's weather. I have a cousin with 5 chickens in Bend. They seem to do fine. Yes, Go Ducks! OK, I went to OSU, but can't mess with the Ducks this year. They can't be beat! (We'll see about Civil War - ha ha) Lastly, my girl Tilly is an ameraucana, though I don't know how pure bred she is. She was a replacement for a pullet turned rooster! A local egg farmer traded her for my pure-bred Brahma Roo. She's a pretty little black bearded thing. We love her.

Back
Top Bottom