We're getting 11 duckling... And all I have is the internet, and a magazine... I need real duck owne

If possible I would keep them at your house. At least for the first couple of day's. Happy Early Birthday! How old will you be turning?

I am os fond of my ducks, and as ducklings they were in a brooder in the guest room. That way I could hear them, check on them often, and easily work with them. Spending time with them helps keep them friendly and they are much easier to handle in case of injury or illness if they are accustomed to you being near them.

Hi um just one more question...We have a nice barn that we visit quite often to feed our sheep collect eggs and let our chickens out...Should we leave our ducks there. Or should we keep them at our house so we can keep an eye on them. Cause there coming as day olds and if one died i would be
hit.gif
need sugestions.

thanks luvmypets
As ducklings, you will need to brood them like you would chicks (basically). So, you want a warm, safe, easy to access spot. If that is your barn then great. Keep in mind that some losses may occur, especially when you are new to ducks. Shipping can be hard on little ones.

I would try to talk to your dad and see if you can change to more girls and leave straight run for potential males. Also, if you are wanting to breed and show or sell offspring then you will need to keep the breeds seperate during breeding season. You may be better off focusing on one breed at first and then expanding as you get more experience. Also, all of the breeds that you mentioned may not be great broodies or mothers. They may be fine, but may not.

I know i havent posted in forever but here goes.We got four drakes out of the bunch, all our buffs were drakes, one black swedish, and a cayuga. The rest are hens, theyre almost a year old and im so happy. They are laying like crazy, and omg i love duck eggs, so good. Also i have a silkie hen hatching eggs next week.

I know i havent posted in forever but here goes.We got four drakes out of the bunch, all our buffs were drakes, one black swedish, and a cayuga. The rest are hens, theyre almost a year old and im so happy. They are laying like crazy, and omg i love duck eggs, so good. Also i have a silkie hen hatching eggs next week.
Thanks for updating, so you have kept all your drakes? Congrats on the yummy eggs too. and your silkie hatching chicks soon. you must be in the deep south lol

Thanks for updating, so you have kept all your drakes? Congrats on the yummy eggs too. and your silkie hatching chicks soon. you must be in the deep south lol
Actually yesterday it was so cold i had a double layered coat and was still cold. The drakes arent to bad, and its hilarious to see them chasing the hens aound, and all the other ducks start quacking like go go go.
gig.gif

Actually yesterday it was so cold i had a double layered coat and was still cold. The drakes arent to bad, and its hilarious to see them chasing the hens aound, and all the other ducks start quacking like go go go.
gig.gif
Hens like in chickens? might be funny but drakes will kill chickens if they mate with them, they are not anatomically made to mate with each other.

Hens like in chickens? might be funny but drakes will kill chickens if they mate with them, they are not anatomically made to mate with each other.
i meant hens as in duck hens, the ducks and chickens only mingle with their species. They are in seperate stalls at night and only have access to each other in the run sorry for confusion.

Last edited:
Well im updating again we got our first ducklings
they are all grown up now

And we got our first broody. I can barely see in her eggs, thats how i know she close to hatch!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom