We're getting 11 duckling... And all I have is the internet, and a magazine... I need real duck owne

luvmypets

Songster
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
East Coast
Like I said in the title, we're getting 11 ducklings. They are hatching on March 25 and I'm so excited I can barely breath. We are getting them from McMurray Hatchery. Me my dad and my brother are receiving them very soon. We are getting 6 Swedish, half black st. run and half blue females. Next we are getting 3 buff orphintons, all st. run. And finally we are getting 2 Cayugas, also st. run. So yeah I'm doing whatever it takes to keep them alive. Tips, advice, do's and dont's, anything to help me keep my baby's alive.

jumpy.gif
it's supposed to be a duck...XD

Last edited:
Read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

And have a plan for what may happen if you get more than 2 males in the bunch. You are likely to get mostly males with straight run and too many males will overbreed females and can kill them. A good ratio is 1 male:4-6 females, an okay one is 1:3.

thumbsup.gif

what do you have for shelter? a run/pen.. as said your likely going to have to many drakes and will need a backup plan on how to remedy this.

What do you want want from ducks? knowing your primary goal really helps in getting things set up well.
welcome-byc.gif

Oh right...Me and my dad made a box of some plywood. Of course as they get bigger we will move them to larger accommodations. Thanks for the advice about drakes though. I'll tell my dad about that so we don't kill the females. I'm going to join 4-h and once are ducklings are grown I want to hatch their baby's naturally. Maybe I'll show them...Of course this will take a while but patience is virtue. oh and last but not least there main uses are for catching bugs and laying eggs. Anyhow thanks for the advice...

luvmypets

Last edited:
Are there any diseases that can kill a whole flock of ducklings?
Also are duck eggs good?
Whats a good temp. for the heat lamp?
is straw a good bedding for day old ducks?
Is McMurray hatchery a reliable company to get from?
also is a plywood box with a chicken wire lid a good home for them?
Just one more thing r they cute...

JK...There all cute

Well I can answer a few of those! As long as you take good care of them-feed well,keep clean and spend time with- diseases are not too much of a worry. At least they never have been for me. Duck eggs are very good. They are much fattier than a chicken egg. Better scrambled fried or cooked into something than they are boiled though! Straw is o.k. You need to be sure that it is clean. I actually use newspaper and that no-slip stuff that is for inside your drawers. I personally have never ordered from that hatchery but have heard good reviews. The heat lamp should be around 98-100 degrees the first couple day's and your box sounds great. Good job building it! And yes they are all cute! Remember not to worry to much and take the time to enjoy them. It sounds like you will be a wonderful keeper of ducks. Keep up the good work!

Are there any diseases that can kill a whole flock of ducklings? yes, duck viral enteritis is one cause
Also are duck eggs good? I think they are scrumptious
Whats a good temp. for the heat lamp? depends on the age of the duckling. Start at 90F, drop 5 degrees a week, leave room in the brooder for ducklings to move away from the heat, keep a thermometer under the heat lamp and check it and the ducklings often
is straw a good bedding for day old ducks? Not from what I hear...I used old towels, some use shavings, Wifezilla used plastic mesh over shavings, a search of the forum will show a variety of other approaches
Is McMurray hatchery a reliable company to get from? I have not used them. There are some threads discussing experiences with hatcheries
also is a plywood box with a chicken wire lid a good home for them? For a brooder? quite possibly. I would just want to make sure whatever I use doesn't have any substances that make fumes - duckling lungs are tender
Just one more thing r they cute...

JK...There all cute oh, absolutely!

Hi um just one more question...We have a nice barn that we visit quite often to feed our sheep collect eggs and let our chickens out...Should we leave our ducks there. Or should we keep them at our house so we can keep an eye on them. Cause there coming as day olds and if one died i would be
hit.gif
need sugestions.

thanks luvmypets

Well I can answer a few of those! As long as you take good care of them-feed well,keep clean and spend time with- diseases are not too much of a worry. At least they never have been for me. Duck eggs are very good. They are much fattier than a chicken egg. Better scrambled fried or cooked into something than they are boiled though! Straw is o.k. You need to be sure that it is clean. I actually use newspaper and that no-slip stuff that is for inside your drawers. I personally have never ordered from that hatchery but have heard good reviews. The heat lamp should be around 98-100 degrees the first couple day's and your box sounds great. Good job building it! And yes they are all cute! Remember not to worry to much and take the time to enjoy them. It sounds like you will be a wonderful keeper of ducks. Keep up the good work!
Thanks so much I can barely wait. Cause their my birthday present next week. I rather ducks than clothes and makeup...LOL

Back
Top Bottom