We're in for subzero temps. I'd love some idea for making the coop more entertaining

Amy Carter

Songster
Nov 10, 2017
MA/NH border
It looks like over here in the MA/NH area that after we get a bit more snow tomorrow, we are in for below zero temps for a while with a windchill even more below that. I feel badly that my sweet little chickenheads won't get much exercise and adventure. I did take previous advice from others and added a baby piano to the coop and dangled a cd in there to amuse them. I'd love to have more ideas. I'm going to be snowed in and freezin my biscuits off so I might as well be crafty and do something for the gals. Coop activity suggestions please, chicken friends...

Do they use the piano ??

I have ice all over so they are not coming out. Got the Cabbage and will string it up today.
I need to add a bit more shavings and toss crumbles into it. Then put the sprouts I have just outside the entryway and see how they do.
My water is good so I am not worried about it.
I don't see much below 0 here, but maybe you are more North/West then I am

About 1/4 inch of ICE on everything.
20171224_075258[1].jpg

Do they use the piano ??

I have ice all over so they are not coming out. Got the Cabbage and will string it up today.
I need to add a bit more shavings and toss crumbles into it. Then put the sprouts I have just outside the entryway and see how they do.
My water is good so I am not worried about it.
I don't see much below 0 here, but maybe you are more North/West then I am

About 1/4 inch of ICE on everything.
View attachment 1216988
Yes, I am. I can throw a rock at New Hampshire from here and I'm on the 495 belt so I'm doomed lol. I strung up broccoli and when one pecked it it swung and they ran for the hills as if it were a guillotine. Maybe I'd have more luck with cabbage...
A few use the piano but it appears they like to peck the keys if something falls on them and not necessarily for the purpose of crankin out a tune.

I have scardy hens too. maybe I will Ziptie it to a post in there.

You have a pick of the Piano ? There are so many now haha. I will hit the Thrift store next week and see what they have.
Thanks
I'll grab a pic when I can. I seriously got it at the thrift store like you're planning. I got the one meant for babies that just has four square keys. Lemme see if I can grab a pic online

Back
Top Bottom